2 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Sad to see Callan Ward go to GWS. Although I can't blame him as the money offered was a once in a lifetime deal, I am still furious that the AFL let GWS approach him during the year and put the offer to him. It is supposed to be against all AFL rules to do this yet the AFL seem gleeful about it. I have no respect for the AFL and as far as I am concerned amyone should be able to approach players during the year with offers to go to other clubs because the AFL has let this happen without any protest. So let Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn and all the rich clubs do this because the Callan Ward and Tom Scully incidents have set a dangerous precident that can't be ignored. The AFL can not punish any other club for doing this as then they are two faced with rules to suit certain clubs and not others.

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

Amen.
The AFL sees nothing but Greater Western Sydney (sounds like a constituency, not a club), Gold Coast and the like. The league should care about ensuring that there's a level playing field, but they do nothing of the sort. Clubs like us, North Melbourne, St Kilda, maybe even Port Adelaide may well feel that they're thought of as surplus to requirements. I hope the PM took some time to discuss this with Demetriou during the Grand Final.
As to Ward, he would never say no, as Krusty the clown would say, they drove a truckload of money to his door. And, with Ward and Scully, Sheedy, smart football man that he is, is adding some "retrospective" top draft picks to the numerous ones (6 out of the top 10, I believe) that GWS will be getting in 2012.
He's drying up everything around him and we may be in for a bumpy ride. Could the 80'/90's be back, with relocations or mergers being a real threat for all Melbourne clubs that aren't too big to fail?

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Greater Western Sydney is a mouthful- I wonder what Lesser Western Sydney is like? Or is it Smaller Western Sydney?

It also sounds like a brand of Champagne. Are they also endeavouring to draw support from the Northern, Eastern and Southern suburbs of Sydney?

That is just another problem of naming yourself a direction- what do those from the three other directions make of it all? If you live in Manly and haven't been initiated into the Sydney Swans- will this Greater Western mob make you realise that you wasted 30 years NOT following the Swans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users