2 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

Well I have had a full 24 hours to digest what has happened at the football club regarding Scott West.

I couldn't believe it when my sister sent me an sms yesterday saying that Scott West had been dumped. I pulled over, stopped the car's engine and rang her immediately and said '"What so are you telling me that he has retired?"

"No he has been told to go by the club" was the reply

This didn't sink in at the time and now almost 24 hours to the exact minute I heard this I am still in a quandry.

People who are familiar with this website would know that FNWB's hostility, frustration and anger is directed at those in positions of power who refuse to change the name back to Footscray. This website's core purpose wasn't and isn't set up as a platform to attack the club over team matters. There are times when I don't agree with selections or where a player may be positioned on the field, but I very rarely bother to 'make live' comments about those matters. I don't mind others giving their views on tactics and selections, but attacking players on the www for "being a a squib' or whatever is not my scene. I take the view that a player or 'any' player could be reading this and it isn't really something to cherish being abused by people on a 'chat room'

However the Scott West 'fiasco' has really got under my skin. Yesterday the feeling was numbness, today it is bitterness.

Firstly lets say for arguments sake that Scott West needed to finish up- just for arguments sake.

Why do it yesterday?

Firstly it was unfair to Adam Cooney for a start. All of yesterday should have been about Adam Cooney. In fact the entire rest of the week until the Grand Final is over should have been about Adam Cooney and Adam Cooney only. He is our first Brownlow Medallist since 1992. That is 16 years. This is the longest time between drinks for Brownlow Medals for us. Between 1975 and 1992 we collected 5 of them.

So this takes the shine of Cooney's wonderful achievement. He would have mixed feelings right now- not just for the Preliminary Final loss, but for the added pain of what has happened to Scott West.

Now lets get back to Scott West.

I saw him at the Hawthorn final, not long before the game started just as he was about to walk past me. So I called out-

"Hey Scotty- don't give it away- we still need you next year"

Although I could see he was in a hurry, he turned back and said

"Thanks mate- but we are going along alright without me"

Well we didn't that night- that's for sure, a half fit Scott West couldn't do much worse than what went on that 'Buddy' night

Who remembers when he began as a senior player in 1993? A young lad who shined pretty much from the beginning. He was there in 1996 and still there in 1997 as was Chris Grant. Everyone was relieved and overjoyed when Chris Grant decided to stay on back at the end of September 1996- then a few days later the new board changed the name and shunted us off to Carlton's ground. That has been covered before, but back with Chris Grant- it also needs to be remembered that Scott West also hung around. Like Chris Grant he DID NOT walk away and go elsewhere.

Later down the track Scott West appeared on tv wearing the guernsey of another team as a marketing ploy for lapsed members to return to the fold. Scott later admitted that he felt uncomfortable doing this- he wasn't happy about 'appearing to prostitute himself and the club' on national television. The club survived and Scott West kept winning the Charles Sutton Medal- that is the clubs' Club Champion' award.

Now we will take out the sentiment for this paragraph. Scott West only played 4 games this year. Why was that? Becasue he was injured. Yes INJURED, he didn't lose form and get dropped, he was injured not long after polling three Brownlow Medal results in one game!

Everyone gets injured at one point or another, so how do they know that he may won't necessarily be the player that he was before this injury? Why not give him a chance- he's only given the club 15 odd years of top line service? Even his mum helped out every Thursday cooking a big pasta meal at Scott West's parents family home for his fellow teammates.

For Scott West's loyalty he has been kicked in the teeth- by his own club! He never played in a Grand Final let alone a Premiership and that includes the pre-season Night Premiership, but he still stayed. He could have gone to other clubs - made bags of more money and probably even ran out on the field on that last day in September.

We owe Scott West one more year at least even if just that one year in 2009- for what he has given us- on the field and off it. Scott West staying here has kept the club alive, If he had of slung his hook and moved on to Essendon, Collingwood, Fremantle or whoever, you would all be supporting the merged Carlton Bulldogs, with John Elliot President and Smorgon on the board with these other Carlton blokes. There would be a little bulldog (well that abysmal yawning cat) on the Carlton shorts. Scott West with others like Chris Grant and Brad Johnson prevented that doomsday scenario.

If he goes to another club- I would not blame him for doing that.

We are now going to hear endless middle brow garbage from supposed experts saying"I love Scott West and it was a hard decision but it needed to be made" The tripe has already started

For years - well most of them since 1924 this club has made some bewildering decisions and also NOT made decisions when we should have. The credo has been wrong- the cult of the individual- be it some Players, some Coaches and some Presidents has triumphed over the team. etc etc. No one disputes that

But Scott West can feel hard done. He gave his all and the door was slammed in his face at the wrong time.

The human touch- does the clubs power brokers not know or either not care?

Thanks Scott - for everything. You deserved and were entitled to better than all this.

#2 genxevo

genxevo

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

^ I feel exactly the same way down to each and every point.

When I heard the news I was looking for a way to protest or even start some sort of boycott. I went to this website and joined up just so I can rant about this, but was beaten to it. But I feel exactly the same way.

I don't have concrete stats but before the start of 2008 Westy hardly ever missed a game. This is his first real injury, and the Bulldogs management decided not to see it through. Just disgraceful.

There has to be a way to protest, just to let those at Bulldogs H/O know that the supporters and members are unhappy.

The players themselves should have openly protested, if Scott West meant anything to them at all

If Scott West says he can play another year, thats good enough for me and should be good enough for all.

#3 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Totally agree. I am so hurt and sorry for Scott West and this decision has spoilt the joy over the Cooney Brownlow win. Scott West, you are admired and loved by so many Footscray supporters and all the best for your future and thank you for everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users