6 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Blackpool won the play off over Cardiff City 3-2 at Wembley last Sunday morning (Melbourne time)

What this means is that apart from the mega pounds they will be raking in, the upcoming 2010-2011 season will have -

two
blacks

and

two
pools

Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers

Blackpool and Liverpool.

Only one liver, but plenty of hams though

Birmingham City, Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Wolverhampton Wanderers

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:24 AM

Well spotted!

And don't forget the return of the "Stanley Matthews derby" - Blackpool v Stoke. Sir Stan would be proud.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Well spotted!

And don't forget the return of the "Stanley Matthews derby" - Blackpool v Stoke. Sir Stan would be proud.

Lets hope they make a song and dance about it. Looking forward to that for sure.

How will Leeds go in the '2nd division' (as it still should be known as)

Will they go straight up to the top division this time?

#4 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

Leeds, or "The Damned Utd" should go up. They're based in a big city, have legions of fans, have all that tradition, they're surely promotion contenders.

#5 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Leeds, or "The Damned Utd" should go up. They're based in a big city, have legions of fans, have all that tradition, they're surely promotion contenders.

A few weeks ago I was handed a dvd of that 'The Damned United' but just haven't had the time to sit down and watch it. I will have to do it this week- surely.

#6 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

A few weeks ago I was handed a dvd of that 'The Damned United' but just haven't had the time to sit down and watch it. I will have to do it this week- surely.

Watch it, it's quite good (but the book is better :mellow: )

By the way, Rochdale were promoted to the third level! This ends a lean spell of 41 years in the basement division of the League (I believe that no League team, except top-flight ones, obviously, has ever gone so long without being promoted at least once).

Actually, 41 years ago they were in the Fourth Division, then in the early 90s it became Division Three and a couple of years ago League Two so they were moving up, in a way...

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Watch it, it's quite good (but the book is better :mellow: )

By the way, Rochdale were promoted to the third level! This ends a lean spell of 41 years in the basement division of the League (I believe that no League team, except top-flight ones, obviously, has ever gone so long without being promoted at least once).

Actually, 41 years ago they were in the Fourth Division, then in the early 90s it became Division Three and a couple of years ago League Two so they were moving up, in a way...

That is what I love and respect so much about the English soccer- every team at some point has had some outstanding day or season -all of them that have been in the league for some time- the famous ones and the obscure ones- like Hull City winning at Wembley in the play offs, Doncaster Rovers winning at Wembley in the play offs- then Rochdale finally having a good season and winning promotion.

Just wish they would go back to how it was in 1992 when Leeds United won the last 'fair dinkum' First Division. Back to the four divisions where Division 1 is Division 1 and two is two, three is three and Division 4 is Division 4. None of this League 1 baloney!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users