• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Anyone have any songs that refer to Footscray, or significant bits and pieces of the West?

I like to play some guitar and write a song here and there -would love to see what bits and pieces you think SHOULD be in a song that references Footscray.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Anyone have any songs that refer to Footscray, or significant bits and pieces of the West?

I like to play some guitar and write a song here and there -would love to see what bits and pieces you think SHOULD be in a song that references Footscray.

Well it certainly isn't the Western Bulldogs club song- that we have had since 1997- all and every references to Footscray, or the Scray were thrown in the garbage bin. :P

How about walking along Barkly Street- going past all the shops and resturants till I reached the ground (Walking in Memphis/ Walking in Barkly Street?)

#3 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Well it certainly isn't the Western Bulldogs club song- that we have had since 1997- all and every references to Footscray, or the Scray were thrown in the garbage bin. :)

How about walking along Barkly Street- going past all the shops and resturants till I reached the ground (Walking in Memphis/ Walking in Barkly Street?)

Barkly St would have to get a mention, the 82 tram, the Blackbird....

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Barkly St would have to get a mention, the 82 tram, the Blackbird....

I rode on that Number 82 Moonee Ponds- Footscray tram many times (although probably not for over 15 years)

Yes it would have to get a guernsey.

#5 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

I used to love catching the bus to Footscray, the 472 to Willy beach. I remember heading off with my Nan who was a die hard Dogs lady on the bus to the mall where she'd volunteer in the Bulldog shop, buy me a bucket of chips from the canteen at Forges and in summer head down to Willy for a swim.

On the bus you'd see local shops called "bulldog" whatever, everyone seemed to have the tricolours painted on the awnings, or in the windows etc.

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

I used to love catching the bus to Footscray, the 472 to Willy beach. I remember heading off with my Nan who was a die hard Dogs lady on the bus to the mall where she'd volunteer in the Bulldog shop, buy me a bucket of chips from the canteen at Forges and in summer head down to Willy for a swim.

On the bus you'd see local shops called "bulldog" whatever, everyone seemed to have the tricolours painted on the awnings, or in the windows etc.

Certainly different now- what about the ice -cream shop in Droop Street near Donald Street,that has now gone.

Pity that the Bulldog shop in the Footscray mall has gone- pity they couldn't have that still going working in tandem with the one at 417?

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Here is the one that Son of Scray has just alerted us to.

#8 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

I thought I'd share.

#9 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

I thought I'd share.

Good stuff- we should get a few more going- starting with quotes from commentators.

One that springs to mins would be the excited tone of Channel 7- Jack Edwards from Round 1 1985- Carlton v Footscray @ Princes Park

"Hey thats not bad- a back pocket sending a pass to a full forward"

(Brad Hardie having two bounces and pin pointing Simon Beasley in the third quarter)

#10 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

I thought I'd share.

That was wonderful- thanks for it.

#11 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

A few years later and I actually tracked down the CD 'its the game' by Rob Fairbairn from 1994 in a Record store at Kangaroo Flat - put the song 'Footscray' up on youtube for all to enjoy.

#12 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

That is fantastic Son of Scray

I love your flags- the 'FLAG WILL WAG' that was the catchphrase put on car stickers from December 1992 which was all about what was going to happen in 1993. (Of course it didn't,) but anyhow, anyone that is under 25 years of age would have no memory (and probably NO knowledge) of this.

You and your pals do a mighty fine job with your visual support for the club. Our supporter base is these days probably the most undemonstrative collective of them all, so your efforts here should surely be greatly appreciated by the club.

Have fun tomorrow as best you can possibly can being surrounded by all those nice fair-minded people who support the Chemist Warehouse er the bombers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users