6 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Good evening!

Just wanted to highlight the fan engagement the Club has undertaken with regards to naming the VFL side 'Footscray.'

I see it through a few lenses. 1) Great to have the question asked. 2) Would love to see the name used again. 3)the support for the side might promote further change.

#2 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Son of Scray, I just voted before and am so glad that we are being given a choice in this matter. Desperately hoping that the name Footscray will prevail easily.

I just looked at the club's facebook site. I feel that at least 90% of people were in favour of the name Footscray. Fingers crossed for success.

Forever Footscray.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

If the reserves play in Footscray, then they must play as Footscray. Can't have it both ways. If the club doesn't want the Footscray name, well don't play in Footscray. If they reckon that the club "has moved on" well do it properly then and move right out of Footscray to another suburb. So go to Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Melton, St Albans, Kings Park, Deer Park, Altona, Sunshine, Caroline Springs etc

Maybe by doing that all the magpie fans in those suburbs might finally realise where they are residing in and change their allegiance from Collingwood to "Western"

Then there would be a change in fan bases, there's would drop and "Westerns" would increase.

Yet I don't really see that happening.

#4 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi Folks, long time no post - yesterday I was in the Bulldogs members lounge and there was q and a with Simon Garlick and the name came up. He asked everyone in the room to raise their hands if they preferred Footscray and at least 75% of the room raised their hands.

The Reserve team will very likely be called Footscray. Another small victory!

#5 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Good to have you back D.McG.

Well there it is for the club- those in attendance on game day giving a strong and decisive verdict of what they want. The club can't casually dismiss that, when the evidence is indisputably there in front of them.

#6 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

And it's official! Footscray returns to Whitten Oval next year. I'll be there!

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Won't we all- looking forward to season 2014.

Yet the club urgently need a social club there immediately (well before April 2014).

When is this one at Edgewater going to open?- at least it is close to the Western Oval, but there need to be an area where people can have a few drinks after the game at the scene.

Sadly 'The Rising Sun, The Albert and The Buckingham have all been consigned to the annals of history, so please get a genuine watering hole going at the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users