2 replies to this topic

#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

This is an absurdly busy time of year for me so I am amazed that no one else has yet acknowledged the absolutely beautiful football story we all witnessed on Sunday.
I only made it to the last quarter, but I haven't screamed that much at a footy match for years.

For Brad to score not only the winning goal, but the 3 winning goals is something all Footscray fans should remember for the rest of their lives.

I'll admit there was a tear in my eye. A brilliant start to the year. Well Done Dogs!

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

I recall Brad Johnson's first game- this young kid wearing Brian Royal's number 33 guernsey. It was a week after Doug Hawkins broke Ted Whitten's Footscray individual games record. Anyway this week just 7 days after Dougie's triumph, our opponents that day were there to send off one of theirs who was playing in his 300th game. Yet Brad Johnson had a win in the first of his 300 games to date and Tony Shaw went away defeated in his 300th game (like Smith and West did in the west)

He is a champion Brad Johnson- that cannot be disputed. He never gets flustered and is so reliable with both his marking and kicking (field and goal). Brad Johnson makes very few mistakes and he may probably win the goalkicking again.

A few years ago back in the dim dark days of 2004 we went to Poons Chinese Restaurant in Barkly Street after the footy. That Sunday afternoon in early July, Fremantle had humiliated us at the Doglands and our group of 15 were sitting in there waiting to order, many wearing Footscray scarves and the like. Anyway who should walk in but Brad Johnson and Rohan Smith. They sat right behind our big long table with their parents and wives. Later into the evening my Aunty asked Brad if he would sign a few things for her Grandsons in the bush and he duly obliged and was very pleasant towards our group, though he must have been seething about the result that day. It made my Aunty's day despite the result (you want to lose on your birthday night out)

Anyway if he goes on for another 4 years he may break Simon Beasley's record! Well if not he could win the goalkicking- first Footscray player since Beasley to top the competition's goalkicking.

#3 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

Brad Johnson is one of the best players I have ever seen. He was fantastic on his 300th game. He didn't play that well in the first half but his last quarter was brilliant, kicking our winning goals. A great day to remember for all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users