PSP18's Content

There have been 21 items by PSP18 (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#889 New Footscray Football Club publication soon for release

Posted by PSP18 on 21 May 2010 - 12:26 PM in Footscray Football Club

Caveman, or anyone else for that matter - do you know if there will be a book launch? And when exactly the book will be released?

#875 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 08 May 2010 - 08:35 PM in Footscray Football Club

Great stuff there boys.

Wonderful to see the fan in the pre 1975 guernsey waving the blue flag in the first image.

Could I ask where you will all be gathered this Friday evening at the cricket ground?

The flags weren't in use last night. I had work all day and went straight from there to the pub. Besides, I like standing at the Southern Stand end at the MCG and flags there would be pretty useless!

#868 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 03 May 2010 - 08:02 PM in Footscray Football Club

Posted Image

Posted Image

#853 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 25 April 2010 - 06:27 PM in Footscray Football Club

Sadly we have no pics from Friday night but hopefully some will be taken this week.

#849 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 24 April 2010 - 12:49 AM in Footscray Football Club

Flags worked well! Did other FNWB contributers notice them?

Level 3, Bay 18 is the place each week!

#840 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 21 April 2010 - 07:31 PM in Footscray Football Club

Can confirm that nine flags (three red, three white, three blue) are sewed and ready to go for Friday!

If you were interested, each piece of material is roughly 90cm x 110cm.

Keep an eye out for them up on Level 3!

#832 Match reaction thread

Posted by PSP18 on 18 April 2010 - 12:27 AM in Footscray Football Club

Pathetic. Only a 22 point loss but we were comprehensively outplayed for three quarters - second to the ball, missing targets, dropping marks, unable to use space properly etc etc.

2-2 from four games and two wins off the pace already. A lot of players are below their best. Slow start.

Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn, Moles, Minson, Hill, Eagleton and others - very quiet/shit tonight and need to lift. Higgins needs to impose himself more.

DFA, Hall, Griff, Lake, Williams, Morris and Harbrow can hold their heads up. That most of those play in the back half says a lot about the midfield getting dominated.

#823 Dogs set to lose pokies venue

Posted by PSP18 on 17 April 2010 - 01:36 AM in Footscray Football Club

Found this link on another forum - http://www.heraldsun...f-1225854279428

Though the Vic Inn is a pretty average place anyway (there are at least five better pubs in Willy), I won't be going there at all if Carlton take it over.

That doesn't really matter though. The bigger question is; what are your thoughts on most (all?) Victorian AFL clubs using pokies revenue as a major source of income?

There's a school of thought out there that pokies money is dirty money and clubs should abandon the machines. That relying on pokies players (mostly addicts) to provide funding to the club is actually a Bad way of interacting with the grass roots.

Then on the flipside, there is the point of view that abandoning the machines (a low risk investment) would sacrifice a competitive advantage.

"Fire away!"

#819 Robert Murphy is all class

Posted by PSP18 on 16 April 2010 - 06:11 PM in Footscray Football Club

Up there with my favourite players for the Bone Mill fellows.

Don't dig his articles though - boring brit pop enthusiast. Sort of bloke that'd wear a scarfe that wasn't in team colours.

I like his alternative viewpoints and how he writes/speaks differently to the majority of players, who all say the same boring things in the same boring manner. Murphy doesn't load up with cliches. I'd even go so far to say that he's a football fan in our category.

Whilst there's very few players who's work I enjoy reading, his columns can light up a Thursday.

#814 Robert Murphy is all class

Posted by PSP18 on 15 April 2010 - 06:45 PM in Footscray Football Club

I dig his columns!

#806 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 13 April 2010 - 12:43 PM in Footscray Football Club

I don't mind teams wearing "clash" jumpers when facing teams with similar shirts. But I do mind the current "away shirt" trend that has teams changing shirts when at the drop of a hat, when it's not really necessary, just because nike's/ adidas'/ reebok's etc. commercial interests demand it. I remember a recent Portuguese soccer league game in which a team that plays in red shirts played away at a team that wears white ones. Stupidly, the visitors decided to wear their "cream" away kit, and in doing so managed to create a clash where none was before!

As Caveman posted, Footscray's jumper doesn't really clash with those of nearly all the AFL teams. So let's stick to the red-white-and-blue.

French club Bordeaux wore their third kit in home matches on their recent Champions League run.....

Posted Image

They usually wear navy blue with white.

Using your rule, Footscray would wear the away uniform against include Carlton, West Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide and maybe Fremantle. That would give on average 3-4 uses per season.

I must say I don't mind seeing it against the likes of Richmond and Brisbane, but that might be because it's a class kit. If it was rubbish (like the 'Origin' jumper from 2005) then I'd have a different view.

#794 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 12 April 2010 - 07:59 PM in Footscray Football Club

South Melbourne used to wear a sash as well before World War 2. It is in Mero's Footy Jumpers website.

Their sash was a red one on a white background.

http://www.footyjumpers.com/

Posted Image

The soccer team River Plate in Argentina also wear a sash if I recall correctly?

As for yawning cats- they belong wholly with the 8 year olds primary school children running around in the little league at half time.

I like the old Richmond tiger logo- the one they had as their logo from the mid 1970's before they replaced it. However it would still look terrible on their guernsey.

Ditto the Melbourne pitchforked Transylvanian demon/dracula? logo. That is the best of the Mebourne logos, but it still should not appear on their senior jumper.

Yawning Cat- let Garry Hocking give Garfield/ Felix his tin of Whiskas and let him run off and play with a ball of knitting wool, before he has his stretch and yawn then falls asleep in front of the open fire.

As do Vasco Da Gama in Brazil...

Posted Image

I don't think a sash is/should be unique to just Essendon and Richmond, as hoops aren't to Geelong and stripes aren't to North Melbourne, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

#785 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 10 April 2010 - 01:59 AM in Footscray Football Club

The Dutch "clash" strip.....

Posted Image

I didn't realise it but that's where I might have got the inspiration from.

#783 New Footscray Football Club publication soon for release

Posted by PSP18 on 10 April 2010 - 01:46 AM in Footscray Football Club

$70 is expensive but this sounds right up my alley. A real collectors item. Can't wait to read about it in the mag.

Only downside is the additions to our finals history since Unleashed. 1997, 1998, 1999, 2008, 2009 :lol:

Thanks for pointing this out.

#782 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 10 April 2010 - 01:39 AM in Footscray Football Club

So something like this?

Posted Image

That's exactly what I've been thinking of!!

I reckon it'd look class.

#776 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 09 April 2010 - 11:54 PM in Footscray Football Club

Son Of Scray - that is Class with a capital C!

That away jumper would be magnificent.

Alternatively, how about plain white with a red and blue sash (about the width of Essendon's). This, coupled with white short and white socks (with a red and blue stripe halfway up the socks), would look great.

Shame my graphic design skills are poor... I'll leave the image for someone else or your imagination.

#774 Changing the Footscray Guernsey

Posted by PSP18 on 09 April 2010 - 11:34 PM in Footscray Football Club

As far as away jumpers go I'm a massive fan of the current away one - aside from the 'yawning cat' it is smart, neat and does it job as a 'clash' jumper away to teams such as Melbourne and Carlton. Fashionably, it's not horrible for supporters to wear (I own one, but not a home jumper). Hopefully this will be retained.

The back of the jumper you came up with (the last one pictured) looks like a bikini bottom!

What do people think of clash uniforms in general? Traditionalists (most of us on this website) might point out that we didn't use them for 100 years but I don't mind them so long as they look neat. I prefer Collingwood's away jumper (worn tonight) to their home one although a lot of clubs' away uniforms are rubbish.

A website you might enjoy - http://www.footyjumpers.com/

#768 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 07 April 2010 - 09:42 PM in Footscray Football Club

Just to clarify, Caveman.

The Bulldog Tenacity banner was used in the first two finals last year and wasn't removed. That was the crude garage job (although the meaning of the words is important; I got the inspiration from a page on FNWB for what it's worth). The banner is still at home with me.

The banner removed was a Chris Grant silhouette in the middle panel of a French flag.

Just to give people reading this a sneak peak (well, not really a peak!), I've spent a fair amount of money on materials and after some further hard work other displays will begin to appear at games. More on that another time.

--

You might not have noticed but I edited my previous post, to add the following:

I'm interested to hear more about what it was like to go to Bulldogs games (home and even away) from, say, 1970-1995. My first Dogs game was Round 22 1995 (vs St Kilda) so don't know much about what it was like before then. I've seen SOME footage but that doesn't give an idea of what it was like to be there. Was the Western Oval genuinely loud compared to other ground's? Was it intimidating; atmospheric? What was it like for visiting fans and teams? And did Footscray take a large contingent to other grounds around Victoria? These aspects of footy culture are too often overlooked. I'd love to read some words about this.

Any thoughts?

Another (perhaps more relevant) pic to inspire:

Posted Image

#765 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 07 April 2010 - 08:04 PM in Footscray Football Club

Good post Caveman, some interesting history covered there.

I only went to three games at the Western Oval in 1995-1996 so have no recollection of the rebel cheer squad. I was only 6-7 years old at the time anyway, so wouldn't be able to remember it even if I did have Footscray parents and was a regular.

I'm glad to see you confronting that we're the quietest fans around. I'd be more likely to try to convince myself that we are loud, that we are intimidating, that we are a 'big' club. Maybe as fans are all of that - some of us could be wrong. At certain times, such as the St Kilda prelim last year, Dogs fans really come out of their shells and make themselves heard - as a body of 35,000 that night we were immense. It just doesn't seem to happen often; week-to-week. This might be because of a defeatest mentality, because we're used to an inevitable fall, or for reasons pointed out by you above - that we've moved from our real home and haven't found our feet for over a decade now.

I'm interested to hear more about what it was like to go to Bulldogs games (home and even away) from, say, 1970-1995. My first Dogs game was Round 22 1995 (vs St Kilda) so don't know much about what it was like before then. I've seen SOME footage but that doesn't give an idea of what it was like to be there. Was the Western Oval genuinely loud compared to other ground's? Was it intimidating; atmospheric? What was it like for visiting fans and teams? And did Footscray take a large contingent to other grounds around Victoria? These aspects of footy culture are too often overlooked. I'd love to read some words about this.

Where do you sit/stand at "home" games Caveman?

#762 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 06 April 2010 - 08:14 PM in Footscray Football Club

Sorry to double post but here is a banner I whipped up (whilst 1/3 pissed and listening to the footy) in my garage the night before the Geelong final last year. It made two appearances: at the Geelong game and Brisbane one, six days later. Spray painted banners really shouldn't have a long shelf life (generally no more than about two games), and I was in the Southern Stand standing area at the St Kilda game so couldn't really display it anyway.

Posted Image

Despite it's crudeness and lack of artistic credibility, the banner added colour and importantly was home made (in the west!). The banner also refers to the club from a historical perspective.

I'd like to see more efforts like this, and also to know other people's thoughts.

--

On Sunday I sat in the MCC Members with my Richmond-supporting father and sister. I proudly displayed a mate's Chris Grant silhouette over the Level 2 fence and thought that wouldn't be an issue. I was wrong. After 25 minutes of the first quarter, a green-skivvied MCG employee came to remove the banner. I was only seven rows behind it, so noticed and raced to the fence. I questioned the removal and was told that fence banners are banned, and security would be called on me if I didn't accept it. I was also threatened with the banner being confiscated.

What made the episode even more perplexing was that there was no advertising signage being covered - the fence was a plain beige one. I pointed this out and, predictably, the employee didn't respond directly.

This is the kind of issue which will have to be overcome if "active" support is to be strengthend. To overcome this, standards (two-stick banners), balloons and flags could be used more commonly.

Some examples of what can be achieved with some inspiration, time, money, organisation and effort:

Posted Image

Melbourne Victory vs Adelaide United, 2007 Grand Final

Posted Image

AC Milan, Italy

Posted Image

Borussia Dortmund, Germany

Click at the following link to sample literally tens of thousands more pictures - http://z6.invisionfr...hp?showforum=37

#761 Footscray fans

Posted by PSP18 on 06 April 2010 - 07:54 PM in Footscray Football Club

Some good posts above. That's why I signed up to this forum - to get involved in more discussion such as this and perhaps to build some more blocks for improved support.

Big Footy is great for on field issues, even nostalgia, but when it comes to talking about support and active support I feel as if the other posters aren't on my wave length.

Woof is great to have as a Bulldog-only site but disregarded me because I didn't post enough!

Hopefully on here there are like-minded fans who can share ideas and thoughts about creating and enhancing an authentic matchday routine and tradition. The last few years have seen small shoots of progress with some home made banners (mainly thanks to SonOfScray) and t-shirts popping up.

Sorry if this is side-tracking a little, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks about the above points, the cheer squad and the possibility of an (independent) alternative...

At the moment it's about baby steps.