• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elsternwick Pierre

Elsternwick Pierre

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

I'd like to pay a tribute to Darryl Baldock. A true champion and as fair a player as I've seen (Jim Stynes would also rank in that regard). It wasn't just his skill, he brought others around him into play and by doing so raised their abilities. It was the same with Ted, whom I saw a lot. He had that same ability, and yes, he was a better player than Darryl. Lordy, he was a better player than anyone who has played the game. It's champions like these we need to applaud, those who assist their team mates, who bring others into the game and raise their skills beyond which they think they can achieve.
I thought if Footscray had got Baldock we'd have raised the cup in 1966 (and maybe other years as well). Oh well.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'd like to pay a tribute to Darryl Baldock. A true champion and as fair a player as I've seen (Jim Stynes would also rank in that regard). It wasn't just his skill, he brought others around him into play and by doing so raised their abilities. It was the same with Ted, whom I saw a lot. He had that same ability, and yes, he was a better player than Darryl. Lordy, he was a better player than anyone who has played the game. It's champions like these we need to applaud, those who assist their team mates, who bring others into the game and raise their skills beyond which they think they can achieve.
I thought if Footscray had got Baldock we'd have raised the cup in 1966 (and maybe other years as well). Oh well.

I was speaking to my old man the other day and he claimed that Baldock was an out and out champion. I have seen bits and pieces of his work on a few old videos- ie the 1965 and 1966 Grand Finals, although I have never actually watched much of the 1965 Grand Final.

His last season was 1968 before he returned to Tasmania- St Kilda did quite well after he left- but couldn't claim the Premiership. I often wonder if he had of hung around, whether St Kilda could have taken the flag in 1970, 1971 or 1972? They were quite close in 1971- just running out of steam in the last quarter to a more refreshed Hawthorn in that 1971 Grand Final.

Well if we could have got him in 1962 instead of St Kilda- then you could argue that 1961 wouldn't have been our last Grand Final appearance. Teddy Whitten could have stayed permanently at Centre Half Back and 'the Doc' could have Centre Half Forward to himself. In 1963 George Bissett won the club goalkicking with 16 goals. He shared it the next year with Teddy - 24 in 64.

If only we could have raided Tassie like most of the others did in that time- Darrel Baldock (and a few years after) Peter Hudson- they would have filled two key positions perfectly. We got Hudsons' son 30 years later- he kicked a 9 in 2001- that is the best individual goalkicking performance since Simon Beasley in 1987.

I recall when Baldock returned to coach St Kilda- I believe he gave a directive for every player on the list to get themseves an actual football to use at home. This would help them with the old 'practice makes perfect' logic. He had a stroke in his first year (1987) and missed quite a few games as St Kilda coach- one being Lockett kicking his 100th goal (against us at Moorabbin)

He took over St Kilda after they had 'won' 4 consecutive wooden spoons (1983,1984,1985 and 1986) Their player culture appeared to be pretty flippant- their player culture now is 100% better then back then at the start of 1987. I don't get it - this argument that they have a culture problem now- their recent record is very impressive- better than most teams. They were just one bloke controlling a mark in the last minute of the Grand Final from winning it. As it happened they walked off that day having NOT LOST a Grand Final- which is better than to lost it by a point.

So farewell to the Doc- a great cricketer as well- he was obviously good at things he took part in- could have become Premier of Tasmania in the last 1980's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users