DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

From Paraguay.

http://uk.eurosport....t/article/2340/

I can't understand the commentator but he is still annoying.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for that- I have finally got around to looking at it- the goalkeeper reacted to it a bit late I guess, but he strucj it beautifully.

The commentator and the stock standard GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

we couldn't not have that could we in South America? :)

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

There's no match for the South Americans when it comes to calling goals. He's basically saying "what a great goal", using the Spanish word "golazo" ("golaço" in Portuguese), which basically means just that - a great goal - and "nearly from the centre line, he found the top corner".

The name of the team that scored that goal, Sol de America, means "Sun of America", which I find quite nice. And speaking of names, the Paraguayan league is known for boasting a few clubs named after dates, including "3 de Febrero" (February , 3rd), "12 de Octubre" (October 12th) and "2 de Mayo" (May 2nd). They also have teams with great names, like Olimpia, Libertad (Freedom), Cerro Porteño, named after a battle, and Guaraní, named after an Indian tribe.

If you like over the top South American commentary, here's a gem - some Argentinian guy gets histerical about River Plate's last minute winner against Quilmes a few years back, a goal that was actually scored with the hand! Hint: the name of the scorer is Ortega :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users