3 replies to this topic

#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

Whenever me and my mate are watching a less than enthralling match we often reminisce about favorite obscure Bulldogs and then cheer them on when their number-sake gets the ball.

EG - Dylan Addison gets the ball will result in "GO PETER QUILL!!!"

Some popular ones include Danny Del'Re, Darren Baxter, Greg Eppulston, John Ballantyne.

[Yes yes they're all from the early 90s, but that's our generation]

Our all time favourite obscure player is Sedat Sir. What a great name! Can't remember a thing he ever did, but he is our favourite.

QUESTION - Who is your favourite obscure Bulldog?

#2 Doug Hawkins

Doug Hawkins

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Mark West - played in the prelims against the Fruit Loops (Crows). Was such a hard player and i think was all australian one year and then delisted the next.... Played a lot like Byron Pickett but was a more solid build

#3 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Mark West was awesome! Good get!

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

My favourite hardly known Footscray footballer?

Don't know who my all out favourite one is, but one name I will put forward is number 52- yes 52 -

Kevin Sait

Recruited from Yarraville where he was a champion there, Kevin Sait played mainly in 1981 and in one game he kicked two crucial last quarter games that won us the game. A victory- so what is the big deal there, surely you have seen your team win? Hardly ever during the Royce Hart era, it was a disaster. Anyway at Yarraville in 1980, I went to their last home game for the season and the Yarraville officials presented him with their player of the year award then and there, because his lead couldn't be caught, so as this was the last home game- he was nominated with it this Sunday late afternoon. Ah the old VFA, they were great days.

Understandably Footscray recruited him for the 1981 season and in 1981 the Bulldogs only had two successes for that year. So we cherished them- especially as in this game that Kevin Sait did so well, was against Essendon. That was just magical- if my memory stands up, both of his goals bounced through, one was a snap over his shoulder with his head facing away from the goals.

I can't completely qualify that because I am yet to see action of that game since that night's replay. The game was covered on television- the Channel 2 cameras were there. Should you go to the Footscray Players In Action sub- Chapter and click on the images of Bill Berry and Jeff Berry, the goals shown for them were scored in that fateful last quarter of that Essendon match of 1981. Hopefully someone might have highlights of that 1981 Footscray v Essendon game and send it to FNWB and we can include Kevin Sait in the Footscray Players In Action chapter as well as extended highlights of that game going into the FOOTSCRAY TUBE Chapter.

So Kevin Sait is one player that sticks in my mind- although I could definitely think of others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users