• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elsternwick Pierre

Elsternwick Pierre

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Today (3rd of June) we gained some measure of mainstream media support for reverting to Footscray as our club’s name. It’s an article by Peter Hanlon in The Age called “What's in a name? Plenty” subtitled “The Western Bulldogs can proudly move forward by reverting to Footscray”
I imagine everyone reading this would be of the same opinion.

Here are a couple of his comments:
Arguably, the time for a new beginning was right in 1996. But, as callers to talkback radio in recent days have proposed, maybe now is a good time to go back, while moving proudly forward. For that song to again begin: "Sons of the 'Scray".

…and…

People who would be proud to again call their club Footscray, no matter where they live.

I agree with that last sentiment. I don’t live in Footscray and never have. Nor in the western suburbs, I’m from the south as my moniker shows quite clearly, but I’ve always been proud to call Footscray my club.

You can find the complete article at:
http://www.realfooty...2258739493.html
or The Age for the 3rd of June.

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

It's a shame you have to scroll all the way down to the fine print to be reminded of this club's true name: Footscray.

The club's true name. He said it all, didn't he? The name problem is clearly a question that will not go away, and rightly so.

Changing the name from Footscray to Western so that the club is seen as the Western Suburbs' club? FC Barcelona are Catalonia's club and somehow never saw the need to call themselves FC Catalonia. Newcastle United and Sunderland are North Eastern England's clubs and never saw the need to become North-East United and North-East Black Cats. The Boston Red Sox aren't thinking of becoming the New England Red Sox and don't expect the Packers from the small city of Green Bay to be calling themselves Wisconsin Packers (to please their supporters from Milwaukee) or Midwest Packers or whatever anytime soon. I mean, people who didn't like Footscray in the first place won't change their mind because of the name change, like Caveman wrote in another part of this site.

And besides, Footscray sounds so much better than Western...

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Agree totally and have argued those and similar points for years.

Maybe Tottenham Hotspur should call themselves London Hotspurs or Northern Spurs or Northern Hotspurs (because they are in North London)

Norwich City and Ipswich Town could become East Anglia City and East Anglia Town.

Maybe Everton should change their name to Liverpool or they would have to become Liverpool 2 because there already is a Liverpool. So Everton become Liverpool 2 - (well they are from Liverpool).

Aston Villa should become Birmingham Villa, because they are from Birmingham?

Sheffield United could change their name to Yorkshire United, maybe they could beat Leeds United to the punch in becoming Yorkshire United.

Maybe some team with from the country of whom has the same red,white and blue colours that the "Western Bulldogs" do and has sell outs and defeatists in their administration, could change their (football) soccer club's name to the Vichy French? Well they sold out like Marshal Petain and his cronies did so why not do it the whole hog with their soccer team to make a true reflection of their (and others) opinions of themselves?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users