3 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

To be eliminated YET again at the second last hurdle was so disappointing.

However my solace is that of all the Preliminary Final losses this was arguably the most tolerable.

1985- Devastated. The dream of what might have been were taken away
1992- Saddened- the fairytale after the events of 1989 were destroyed but we knew that at three quarter time
1997- Some Amazon rainforests could easily disappear in writing books on that disaster
1998- Annoying- we were a better team than them, but it was over at half time No revenge for 1997
2007- Frustrating- Geelong are undoubtedly the best team- but we could have grabbed it.

When I mean tolerable- 1997 was the worst.

We were a better side than them and throw in all the 'ifs and bits'- the Liberatore 'goal' the Mark West miss, Chris Grant and Paul Hudson getting in a tangle- James Cook's shot for goal hit by an apple on 3/4 time. Everthing that could go wrong DID- just like the Titanic.

1985- was another what if-

Many play the blame game and Brad Hardie was crucified- UNJUSTLY in my mind. If we want to go down a scapegoat path another player's mistakes directly gave Hawthorn two goals- one in the second & one in the third quarter- but no one ever bags him. Another Bulldogs player was beaten by his opponent in marking contests in the last quarter that led to crucial Hawthorn goals but he was never hung out to dry. Hardie cops it and it still rankles with me that the bloke who got us back in the game in the third quarter when we "were getting into difficulty' as Tim Lane said in his commentary is still assasinated for the loss.

So 2007 the chance was there- Geelong- a great team didn't play that well- they only kicked 4 goals after half time, but we couldn't capitalise. Although some of the blokes made costly errors, I have a my own personal code where I don't attack players on the forum- I don't feel comfortable bagging someone who's football ability way exceeded my own, so there will be no vitriol from me.

Anyway deep down we all really knew that we weren't likely to win, so it was not like 1997 or 1998.

Hope is alway there when you follow the Bulldogs. I am now more philosophical about the game sitting here as opposed to last night when walking out and away from the MCG.

Here's to next year- the 54 years since the Premiership of 54 has gone, so it is now 55 since 54.

#2 bamblettmagic

bamblettmagic

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Love your website love how you wish to see FOOTSCRAY renamed as they rightly should be...however..in terms of last nights result its clear that this football club has an in bedded culture of failure and a lack of belief....the problem with this football club is its refusal to acknowledge its history and instead pursue the game in a "scientific" approach which all teams do today...sure physicality and biology all make sense..but the thing lacking in this whole review is the acknowledgment of the brain..what makes people do what they do...i read a column by Luke Darcy in the Fairfax press talking about previous dog defeats and how past losses didnt really mean much to the latest crop of players..what a load of crap..is he telling me that Carlton players wouldnt lift if they played Collingwoood in a grand final or any final???? or similarly Richmond v Carlton ???? my point is we as a club as you so rightly pointed out caveman, have a litany of losses that should inspire any bulldog player with a pulse to absolute fever pitch when they see a geelong or hawthorn jersey..instead what do we get..oh we are on the right track..next year etc etc..sorry next year is never a guarantee particularly in our case re: 1986 etc etc..no..clubs are responsible for culture and in melbourne where tribalism is still prevalent, the "battling bulldogs" term is lovingly embraced by all and im fed up with it..i want to see an ABSOLUTE winning culture....the lead up to the geelong game was if the cats were this team of demi gods..when in fact they were human beings just the same as our guys..but who had inside their heads a desire to win..WE, had a desire to have nothing to lose..what nonsense..what about we are going to win???..if i was coach id do this for a frightening sobering piece of reality..id get all our players on the list and take them to the entrance where players gain access to the club..id then tell them..that since 1954..ex amount of players have walked through these gates to play football in an attempt to win the competition and since then they have failed...54 football seasons and the amount of players who have walked through the clubs doors and failed..im sorry caveman but i cant feel satisfied at all with last nite's result...the club needs an infusion of new culture...its needs the 1985, the run of 97 and the speed of the 08 tem to play impressive classy WINNING football with an Insatiable desire to win that Gold cup that AFL football is really all about...instead we are the MEDIOCRE battling rabble who continually fails when we reach a chance at glory....im bloody sick of it...

#3 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

I like your passion mate. I was getting angry at fellow supporters who at 3 quarter time were saying "at least we're making a contest".

I think this defeat hurts a bit more due to the fact that we could have won it, had the shots gone our way we would have had the psychological edge.

Although I should point out...
"an Insatiable desire to win that Gold cup that AFL football is really all about."

The cup is silver.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:01 AM

Love your website love how you wish to see FOOTSCRAY renamed as they rightly should be...however..in terms of last nights result its clear that this football club has an in bedded culture of failure and a lack of belief....the problem with this football club is its refusal to acknowledge its history and instead pursue the game in a "scientific" approach which all teams do today...sure physicality and biology all make sense..but the thing lacking in this whole review is the acknowledgment of the brain..what makes people do what they do...i read a column by Luke Darcy in the Fairfax press talking about previous dog defeats and how past losses didnt really mean much to the latest crop of players..what a load of crap..is he telling me that Carlton players wouldnt lift if they played Collingwoood in a grand final or any final???? or similarly Richmond v Carlton ???? my point is we as a club as you so rightly pointed out caveman, have a litany of losses that should inspire any bulldog player with a pulse to absolute fever pitch when they see a geelong or hawthorn jersey..instead what do we get..oh we are on the right track..next year etc etc..sorry next year is never a guarantee particularly in our case re: 1986 etc etc..no..clubs are responsible for culture and in melbourne where tribalism is still prevalent, the "battling bulldogs" term is lovingly embraced by all and im fed up with it..i want to see an ABSOLUTE winning culture....the lead up to the geelong game was if the cats were this team of demi gods..when in fact they were human beings just the same as our guys..but who had inside their heads a desire to win..WE, had a desire to have nothing to lose..what nonsense..what about we are going to win???..if i was coach id do this for a frightening sobering piece of reality..id get all our players on the list and take them to the entrance where players gain access to the club..id then tell them..that since 1954..ex amount of players have walked through these gates to play football in an attempt to win the competition and since then they have failed...54 football seasons and the amount of players who have walked through the clubs doors and failed..im sorry caveman but i cant feel satisfied at all with last nite's result...the club needs an infusion of new culture...its needs the 1985, the run of 97 and the speed of the 08 tem to play impressive classy WINNING football with an Insatiable desire to win that Gold cup that AFL football is really all about...instead we are the MEDIOCRE battling rabble who continually fails when we reach a chance at glory....im bloody sick of it...

Well I agree with everything you say there Bamblett Magic- a great start to the FNWB Forum.

My tolerance (as distinct from acceptance) is because I expected a defeat. Having said that we definitely could have won it- those missed shots in the third quarter were soul destroying.

The club has allowed or even cultivated a culture of near enough is good enough, or more correctly 'reasonably close to near enough- is good enough' for two GENERATIONS. People will see this season as a success - "Why we have this new training facility opening up soon- that will be marvellous it is going to be as good as Collingwood's Lexus Centre". "So aren't we good"

Well whilst I support the logic that better amenities will surely not worsen the club- the acceptance that somehow this amounts to 'everything being rosy and we are heading along the right track' is just fools gold.

Here is an example of how we as the Western Bulldogs Football Club advertise us to the world-

At the game on Friday night Geelong had their Geelong Football Club corporate function in the Jack Ryder Room. That was a corporate function. We did not have a Western Bulldogs Corporate Function- our one and only 'club gathering' was a small group of people in the Medallist BAR. This was a 'gathering' in a BAR not a function in a genuine FUNCTION ROOM

Now the chasm here is in the rooms. The Ryder Room is the half forward flank in the Great Southern Stand- middle level. The Medallist Bar is also in the Great Southern Stand, though it is behind the goals at the Richmond end. If you are in the Jack Ryder, Lindsay Hassett and Keith Miller rooms- you can get a fine view of the game and have a proper sit down meal. In the Medallist Bar you get a great view of the carpark but NO VIEW whatsover of the game.

So who cares about the corporates sitting behind their glass watching the game there instead of outside cheering on the team with the rank and file? Well thats very true, but why is it that the Western Bulldogs get the BARGAIN BASEMENT room of all in the Southern Stand for a few keen supporters that coughed up extra dough as opposed to Geelong who get a markedly larger room near the wing? What does this say about us and our small time thinking? We think small, we act small and we end up with nothing-- again.

The 'little club syndrome' that the administration has done so little to extinguish is always going to hold us back. It wasn't responsible for Eagleton not making the distance- but the Ryder Room / Medallist Bar class distinction displays as a microsm how insignifigant we (well the club) sees ourselves. Is it any wonder we (thats the football club as an organisation) have such an inferiority complex?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users