1 reply to this topic

#1 langers1971

langers1971

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Guys

i was looking at the scores of this game, r15 1991 v essendon the other day, 11.23.89 to 6.7.43, a massive 46 point thumping of essendon, and the doggies trailed at half time 1.10.16 to 4.3.27, but after half time, it was 10.13.73 to 2.4.16.

this was the game where Peter Foster kicks a point to the left hand end, but is paid as a goal by the goal umpire.

does anyone have a copy of the replay of this game? would love to see it again

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Guys

i was looking at the scores of this game, r15 1991 v essendon the other day, 11.23.89 to 6.7.43, a massive 46 point thumping of essendon, and the doggies trailed at half time 1.10.16 to 4.3.27, but after half time, it was 10.13.73 to 2.4.16.

this was the game where Peter Foster kicks a point to the left hand end, but is paid as a goal by the goal umpire.

does anyone have a copy of the replay of this game? would love to see it again

Peter Foster kicked a behind to the Barkly Street end, but the goal umpire made a mistake (as all of humans do) and granted number 32 'a sausage roll'.

This is quite well remembered, but what isn't from that very same game is that Leon Cameron was also awarded a goal. despite his kick being a behind. This was to the Geelong Road end earlier in the game.

Peter Foster ran over towards the goal umpire in an attempt to shake his hand, to thank him- for his mistake! What it really did was highlight the error and blow it up to be something like the Tommy Hawkins 'goal' from the St Kilda v Geelong 2009 Grand Final and thus condemn the goal umpire to public ridicule. At the time I was thinking- "What are you doing Fossie, don't give this poor bloke a week out of the seniors- he has done us a favour- never look a gift horse in the mouth". If you are going to give an umpire a demotion, do it after they have cost us- not after they have advantaged us!

So anyway that was a game where two decsions by (as they were then) 'the men in the white coats' went our way.

Number 32 got a favourable one in the last quarter of a home and away game in 1991. However what a pity 'Number 39' didn't receive another verdict in the last quarter of a Preliminary Final 6 years later in 1997.

As for the game I will hunt around for you Langers 71, a game you mentioned here a few months ago that you were searching for - St Kilda v Footscray at Moorabbin from 1986 - I did have some action from it, back then 26 years ago, but sadly it got inexplicably taped over, much to be eternal annoyance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users