#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

http://www.westernbu...66/default.aspx

Looks like we will have our own team in the reserves next year. Great news, they must call them Footscray.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yes that is exactly what the club needs.

My dream is for all teams to have their own 'scoooby doos' and for seconds games to be played before the seniors as in the past.

Anyhow should this reserves team of ours play out of the Whitten Oval then they must be named Footscray. Two main reasons for those non familiar with this topic -

(1) if the club is about 'Winning the West' then Footscray as a suburb is too inner west and not 'WEST' enough. So to further push the clubs 'WESTINESS' then play out of a more 'Western' area/suburb, like St Albans, Ardeer, Tarneit, Kings Park, Point Cook etc. Just maybe all the Collingwood fans who live there 'might' then get it that that they live in 'The West' and that they should follow 'THE TEAM OF THE WEST' with this team training in the 'Proper Geographical West' rather than this Footscray suburb so far away.

(2) If you feel nothing but contempt for the Footscray name- then the club should disassociate itself completely from Footscray. So in simple terms if you don't want the Footscray name- then don't play there. It is that straightforward- if Footscray is beneath your dignity, then the club doesn't play its reserves games there- the club can move to a better area like St Albans, Ardeer, Sunshine, Kings Park, Tarneit - and Western will play it's seconds game at e.g Errington Reserve in St Albans, or Skinner Reserve in Sunshine etc.

It is the same scenario as you are having a party and you want to have it at Jack's place because Jack has a good stereo system, Jack has plenty of cds, a big backyard etc, and you and Jack have mostly the same mates. Yet you don't want Jack to attend the party at his own home, because you are trying to impress new people and Jack being there is at odds with what you now stand for and want to represent. Jack is an impediment to you making new friends- but his house isn't!

So you don't want Jack there- but you want Jack's house and to use all the amenities that Jack has

If I was Jack- I would tell you what you could do with your party, as I am sure most would. But there are always the self loathing eager to please people around who tolerate mediocrity and are just so happy to be there on the periphery- just like what the Western Bulldogs stands for.

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Good points, Caveman.
I read somewhere that if Paul Dimattina said that if he becomes president he'll name the reserve side Footscray. Didn't say anything about the AFL side, though.
And what about the 9 VFA flags? Will they be credited to the new team (est. in 2013 or 2014), as I've seen happen with Geelong's or Collingwood's?

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

FNWB will keep pushing that too- the club did not begin as late as 1925- we are over 40 years older, so our history takes in SINCE 1883 NOT JUST SINCE 1925.

The Footscray Football Club have won 10 Senior Premierships not just ONE. I think this post is only the 1,924,000 time that this has been mentioned on FNWB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users