2 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Back in 1978 Footscray lost to Collingwood at home by 4 points after being 40 points in front early in the last quarter. They over ran us & the last goal of the game which won it for them was kicked by Craig Stewart- the father of Jimmy Stewart. It was to the Barkly Street end.

Footscray 14.5.89
Collingwood 14.9.93

Three quarter time score was

Footscray 12.5.77
Collingwood 6.7.43

I was there as a young child & I would rank it in my top 10 most shattering defeats that I had seen.

One of the Collingwood blokes that day was our former captain Laurie Sandilands. He kicked 3 of their 14 goals. Gary Dempsey kicked a goal which you can see on this website when clicking on his name in the Footscray Players Kicking Goals section.

The Simon Beasley game six years later in 1984 somehow exorcised that ghost for me of Saturday 20th May 1978. But still not 100%, that 1978 game still hurts, just like the 1976 Elimination Final. Yet the Geelong 1976 final has never been exorcised.

#2 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

What a horror game.  Leading Collingwood by 40 points and then losing !  

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

It was horrific, a game thrown away. One of their stars that day was our former captain Laurie Sandilands.

Anyway thank goodness this match receives no publicity, which is perhaps surprising as any team that trailed by 40 points in the last quarter and got up and won would want to make a "song and dance' about it. I know I would if it was the other way around. Well we have some action from the 1983 St Kilda v Footscray game on this website where we came home from 39 points down at 3/4 time. Though it is not the entire last quarter of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users