4 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

If someone is celebrating their 50th birthday today- Friday 23rd Sepember 2011- then the day they were born- Saturday 23rd September 1961 was the last day that Footscray played in a Grand Final.

Footscray were leading at half time on that very hot day- but a fresher Hawthorn over ran us and went on to win their first of ten (maybe in a 8 days eleven?) Premierships.

Has there ever been a bigger watershed in football between 2 clubs like the one that exists between the hawks and the doggies since half time of that 1961 Grand Final?

#2 Elsternwick Pierre

Elsternwick Pierre

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

I was there that day.
The previous week I celebrated my 16th birthday watching Footscray beat Melbourne, who were expected by everyone (except us) to trounce us.
On Grand Final day at half time we were quietly (or not so quietly) optimistic as we were a couple of goals ahead. Alas, Hawthorn, and most particularly, Brendan Edwards, ground us down. Deep sigh.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I take it Elsternwick Pierre as you trudged out of the Melbourne Cricket Ground that afternoon, that even though being utterly dejected, the thought would have been from a just turned 16 year old like yourself and quite a few others of differing ages-

'Oh well we will be back here again next year or some time not long after'

The 50 years in the wilderness would never have been contemplated, Moses only had to deal with 40 years

The halftime break of the 1961 Grand Final has been our high point that has not been equalled in any of the 50 years since.

#4 Elsternwick Pierre

Elsternwick Pierre

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

I think you were right in your initial post – it was exhaustion more than anything else that caused the Grand Final defeat.
The last game of the season Footscray played Geelong. We were 4th and 5th on the ladder on equal number of games so the winner would make the finals. That game was a real bloodbath, both sides having players taken off injured and each ended up with fewer than 18 men on the field.
The first week we met a rising St Kilda, and we weren’t expected to win (as usual) but we did.
There was a break the following week when Melbourne and Hawthorn played. Hawthorn won and went into the Grannie.
So, up against Melbourne, who were still on that amazing run from the middle fifties and had topped the ladder at the end of the season. That was a tough game and we weren’t expected to win (as usual). It did produce “that mark” of Merv Hobbs.
Thus battered and bruised we made it into the big one and surprised everyone in the first half.
I won’t go on any further.

#5 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

There is a book with a dvd from the Hawthorn perspective of the 1961 Grand Final.

I am still yet to get it though- should go out tonight and make an effort to find out where to find it. I really miss the likes of Angus & Robertson, Borders, Dymocks etc.

I haven't seen this dvd at JB Hi Fi at Airport West either. Perhaps because it is more that a book that a dvd?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users