2 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Well a defeat by one measly point in the clash with the Western Bombers last Friday the 13th.

I couldn't go to the Oil Drum or even watch it on the box as I went out to dinner for a friends birthday which had been planned a while ago.

So that clock on the home page about Monday 28th September 1970 being our last Night Grand Final appearance- will be there for at least another 365 days. Can't have it changed like we did with the Preliminary Final clock that was altered after the Friday night Sydney success, back in mid September 2008.

#2 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

Can't say I really care... the Diddy Kong cup means less and less each year. Leave it to St Kilda & Carlton to win it.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

Can't say I really care... the Diddy Kong cup means less and less each year. Leave it to St Kilda & Carlton to win it.

Next year will be 40 years- though in reality it will be 39 years and 6 months since the 1970 triumph over Melbourne was played in September 1970

I would hate Melbourne to be booted out of the AFL- should they be relocated like South Melbourne, or merged / taken over like Fitzroy. One important reason for me being an unashamed Melbourne Football Club retentionist is -

Our last Grand Final win, Preliminary Final win and Night Grand Final appearance (which was also a victory :rolleyes:) were all against the Melbourne Football Club- in 1954, 1961 and 1970. The 1954 and 1961 were our only victories in those fixtures- in 1954 we had already qualified for the Grand Final having beaten Geelong in the Second Semi Final.

Our greatest winning margin is also against Melbourne- and I was there for that game- 120 points in 1985 at Footscray. Simon Beasley kicked 12 goals that day. Les Bamblett was out with appendicitis.

All (or well 90%) of our success since Essendon 1924 has been against Melbourne. Melbourne MUST stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users