3 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:49 AM

Do other people think that too many of our commentators do not call the game but just offer their opionions. On the weekend, Frawley, Pickering and Campbell mainly talked about other players and at one stage of the game, did not call the action but started to talk about Carlton and their up and coming players. Also, when Cooney was being held, they instead talked about Chris Judd! At least Dennis Commetti still calls the action.

#2 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

I agree Frawley is appalling. Didn't watch the game but I can concur that the standard of punditry in Australia is well below par. I think the answer is obvious:

STOP LETTING EX-PLAYERS CALL THE GAME!!!! Sports Journalists and indeed professional broadcasters have much more experience and training. Of course use players for special comments but ppl like Tim Lane and Stephen Quartermain are better for the real call!

IMO the greatest Sports Commentator in the world of Football codes is the BBC's John Motson, never played a professional game in his life, but has passion a great turn of phrase and knows his audience.

Hopefully soon with digital tv we can choose different audio channels, one for the fans, and some for ppl not that interested in the result, how much more entertaining would say a Freo v St Kilda match if you were listening to commentary by someone like Mick Molloy??

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

I agree, some ex-players like Dunstall can put two words together and I always listen to him.

One ex-coach though is a 'Barry Crocker'

When he hangs up his boots will Fev get a guernsey on the idiot box?

#4 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

have to acknowledge Leigh Matthews commmentary of us v the Hawks. Horrible game but he had some great insights into the strategy which I enjoyed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users