Photo

Well done to North Melbourne for becoming North Melbourne!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

Fantastic that they have got ridden of the ludicrous situation where their nickname took control and become their name.

Now their nickname Kangaroos is back to where it should be - in its rightful place just as their nickname alone.

This makes it now our turn to do the same- we are the only team left that has its nickname as its name. Pretty lonely these days on our Pat Malone here.

#2 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

I totally agree. The name North Melbourne should never have been retired in the first place. Western Bulldogs should never have been used as our name. The North Melbourne situation says it all. It would be laughable to send a team with the name North Melbourne to the Gold Coast yet sending kangaroos would be easily explained. The same with us. There is no Footscray in Queensland or New South Wales yet there are western suburbs in both states. That is playing exactly into Afl's hands.

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

From afar, I suppose this would be a good time to re-start the debate about Footscray's name change. Strike the iron while it's hot, as they say. I spent some time checking out Australian Rules forums (like Big Footy) and I see that a lot of fans have become accustomed to the new name, especially younger ones. This could be the proper time to put an end to that trend.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

Immediately is always the right time for the official re emergence of the Footscray name.

After 11 years of winning nothing and playing in no Grand Finals as Western Bulldogs and the only other club to change their name, now appearing to be changing their name back- this debate just can't come quick enough.

Apathy must be laid to rest- bring it on

#5 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Has anyone got up and said that they should give up North Melbourne and go back to the Kangaroos? Nobody has have they?

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

They are coping a pasting at the moment, especially after this 115 point defeat yesterday to Hawthorn.

However some need to remember that they are still in Melbourne and their name has been changed back to North Melbourne and no one at all is advocating that they should have stayed as the 'Kangaroos' or should revert from North Melbourne back to the 'Kangaroos'.

I don't know the intricate pros and cons of James Brayshaw and what he and his administration stand for, yet what I do know is that he changed their name back to North Melbourne and that they remained here. They are going through a tough time, but imagine going through a lean spell as the Gold Coast Kangaroos.

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

They are coping a pasting at the moment, especially after this 115 point defeat yesterday to Hawthorn.

However some need to remember that they are still in Melbourne and their name has been changed back to North Melbourne and no one at all is advocating that they should have stayed as the 'Kangaroos' or should revert from North Melbourne back to the 'Kangaroos'.

I don't know the intricate pros and cons of James Brayshaw and what he and his administration stand for, yet what I do know is that he changed their name back to North Melbourne and that they remained here. They are going through a tough time, but imagine going through a lean spell as the Gold Coast Kangaroos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users