• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Just been reading another naming debate and has got me thinking about what little things, big things you actually do to keep the name Footscray being bandied about?

Obviously for Caveman, this site is a really strong tactic. But what about others? Is there anyone really passionate about it to the point that they flat out refuse to purchase Western gear? That they do not even consider calling us anything other than Footscray?

I'll be making a new fence banner soon enough which will say FOOTSCRAY and have the SIMS supermarket man above it.

#2 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

Sims supermarket man?

Me and my mate always sing Sons of the Scray when we win. My scarf is a Footscray one and his jumper is Footscray.

I have a coffee mug that says western, I don't feel guilty.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Just been reading another naming debate and has got me thinking about what little things, big things you actually do to keep the name Footscray being bandied about?

Obviously for Caveman, this site is a really strong tactic. But what about others? Is there anyone really passionate about it to the point that they flat out refuse to purchase Western gear? That they do not even consider calling us anything other than Footscray?

I'll be making a new fence banner soon enough which will say FOOTSCRAY and have the SIMS supermarket man above it.

Good work there Son of Scray, will look forward to seeing that banner.

I refuse to wear anything with Western Bulldogs or the yawning cat on it. The club have sent me items with these on them, in the membership pack, but they are still wrapped in their plastic having never seen the light of day.

For years I never bought anything from the club shop because they had no Footscray items there for sale. No other shops did either like K-Mart, Rebel Sports etc., so I didn't have any recent day clothing, all was from before 1997.

However in the last 9 months the club shop at the ground have been selling Footscray gear and in that last 9 months I would have spent around $500 on clothing from there at 417 Barkly Street, Footscray West 3012 - all Footscray gear. Add a couple of stubbie holders and two coffee mugs that are Footscray themed.

Some people have given me Western stuff as gifts- one of which were two number plate covers with Western stuff on it- I gave that away to someone else- but I never disclosed that to the person that gave it to me.

If I see someone out in the street when I am walking my dog or whatever wearing 'Western' or yawning cat merchandise, I don't interact with them- like saying- good on you mate. Not that I deliberately shun them, but they receive the same non-reaction from me as if they were wearing a magpies, bombers,blues,hawks, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal shirt, cap etc

Yet if I see someone wearing Footscray clothing- then I will usually attempt to make conversation with them- like 'Good on you mate- glad to see your wearing the 'fair dinkum' jumper, t-shirt" etc.

#4 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Have had a fan thread on the Melbourne Victory forum changed in title from "Western Bulldogs Thread" to "Footscray Football Club - men from the land of boulders." I spam the Club Facebook with Footscray references :mellow: Etc.

Just little things to keep the fire burning.

The new Footscray gear at the club shop is pretty good.

#5 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

In my site (Portugal's premier Australian Rules Football site) I mostly use Footscray when mentioning the club. Because the site's goal is to familiarize Portuguese people (newbies) with the sport, I sometimes have to mention that Footscray now "trades as the Western Bulldogs", so that the site's loyal visitors (all 3 of them) don't get confused. When writing the results of an AFL round I use "Footscray/ W. Bulldogs".

#6 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

In my site (Portugal's premier Australian Rules Football site) I mostly use Footscray when mentioning the club. Because the site's goal is to familiarize Portuguese people (newbies) with the sport, I sometimes have to mention that Footscray now "trades as the Western Bulldogs", so that the site's loyal visitors (all 3 of them) don't get confused. When writing the results of an AFL round I use "Footscray/ W. Bulldogs".

3 Users????? Even fnwb has four. [now that sonsofscray is here]

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Have had a fan thread on the Melbourne Victory forum changed in title from "Western Bulldogs Thread" to "Footscray Football Club - men from the land of boulders." I spam the Club Facebook with Footscray references :mellow: Etc.

Just little things to keep the fire burning.

The new Footscray gear at the club shop is pretty good.

You are a gentleman and your blood deserves bottling. Your not a spammer though in the instance with that Facebook group, just a concerned citizen doing his community duty. Your not trying to flog off the big V or whatever else that genuine spammers do, so don't consider yourself a spammer.

The club shop at 417 Barkly Street has come on in leaps and bounds.

#8 Conway

Conway

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Do you think there will be a day when the club reverts back to it's traditional name?

I also noticed the club shop is now stocking Footscray gear. As Roy said, I don't buy or wear any 'Western' gear, apart from my 2007 members cap. It's my favorite hat and super comfy so I make an exception! I recently bought a few Footscray items from the online clubshop that were on sale.

I never would have expected to see the offical club shop stocking Footscray items, so maybe times are changing? Does anyone know if it has ever come up within the club as a serious issue? It would be interesting to see how many members would prefer to revert back. I assume it would be the majority? You'd think if the majority of members wanted to change back they would seriously consider it?

As a member I would be voting to change back!

:mellow:

#9 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

I'd vote in favour of a name change back to Footscray. But I'd be happy if the fans just took it on themselves to change it by using the name off their own accord, not allowing a marketing decision we had no say in dictate what words we use.

#10 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

3 Users????? Even fnwb has four. [now that sonsofscray is here]

Maybe a bit more. The good news is that Fremantle have agreed to sponsor a team in Lisbon, to be known as the "Lisbon Dockers", which means that my nearly 2 and a half years of running the site were not in vain. Australian Football training is now in full swing and if all goes well come next October Portugal will enter the EU-Cup for the very first time.

#11 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thats good news- well done to you and also to Fremantle. Your efforts have paid dividends
Maybe Freo could broaden their horizons and sponsor a team from Stalingrad- well from Volgograd- because their theme song is the tune from the Volga boatmen.!!!

#12 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:58 AM

Thats good news- well done to you and also to Fremantle. Your efforts have paid dividends
Maybe Freo could broaden their horizons and sponsor a team from Stalingrad- well from Volgograd- because their theme song is the tune from the Volga boatmen.!!!

Thanks, Caveman! I agree about the Volgograd Dockers, that would be brilliant. They could translate the Freo song to Russian.

I forgot to mention that we're being helped and trained by a (South) Australian, who has the good habit of calling Footscray, well, Footscray. Things are off to a good start!

#13 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

fwiw

beautiful.

#14 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

fwiw

beautiful.

Hey Son of Scray that was mighty good. Well picked up, throughly enjoyed it.

#15 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hoping to get a better quality version up, rumours are that there is a cassette tape/cd floating around here somewhere with this song.

Were any of you guys familiar with it? Brand new to me as of last week. Surprised it slipped past to be honest.

#16 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

I never knew that it existed at all until you produced that you tube link.

That would be great if we could get a cassette/ dvd of that work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users