34 replies to this topic

#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Well Round One was pretty rubbish. Too many players clearly a tad overconfident.

Did Aka get a kick?

Anyway, ultimately a good kick up the arse might be perfect for us. Just don't let it happen again Dogs!

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

Had to play catch up football, which is exactly what happened last time we played the Eastern Magpies in the first game of the two between the two clubs in 2009. However we nearly grabbed it back in 2009, this time we appeared to run out of puff, a few blokes were quiet and the Eastern Magpies played to their strengths and they did that quite well on the day.

Aker loves the MCG, so he will be fine on the Sunday. They will be alright, the Eastern Tigers are in a bit of a pickle for this fixture, with one of their blokes out for disciplinary reasons and of course Benny's in the Grandstand watching too, as I have just heard on the tv.

We should be 1 and 1 come Sunday night- surely :blink:

#3 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

I watched yesterday and found it really frustrating. [partly due to the idiot behind me who had no concept of inner monologue.. he seriously verballised all of the !@#$ing obvious things that came into his head]

I agree with Rocket after the match, we're playing horribly at the moment. I have every faith we'll click sooner rather than later.

We were lucky Hawthorn didn't convert more in the second quarter.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

[partly due to the idiot behind me who had no concept of inner monologue.. he seriously verballised all of the !@#$ing obvious things that came into his head]

(1) "Hello Roscoe/Tim/Neil/KB/Dennis/Ox/Derryn/Finey/Spoon Man"(take your pick or insert someone else)
-"First time caller long time listener"

(2) "Don't give up your day job" to someone singing who is not a singer by trade who happens to have a go at it

(3) "We were really under the pump"

(4) "You do the maths"

(5) "You can't have your cake and eat it too"

(6) "How long is a ball of string?"

(7) "He has put in the hard yards"

(8) "They broke the mould when he was born"

but the cliche that I hate the most more than all of those above is -

"I know it is an old cliche, but........." :lol:

#5 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

I know I should be discussing Footscray's games, but... Fremantle beat Geelong? Fremantle beat Geelong? What the? They say that when Lord Cornwallis' army surrendered to the Americans the band played "The World Turned Upside Down". They should have played that at Subiaco after the game, I don't know the tune, but it's bound to be better than that Freo Heave-Ho nonsense.

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

I know I should be discussing Footscray's games, but... Fremantle beat Geelong? Fremantle beat Geelong? What the? They say that when Lord Cornwallis' army surrendered to the Americans the band played "The World Turned Upside Down". They should have played that at Subiaco after the game, I don't know the tune, but it's bound to be better than that Freo Heave-Ho nonsense.

Isn't that tune something about the Volga boatmen?

It is certainly different :P

Some years ago they had this hybrid team that played against Victoria and their name was the Allies! I was barracking for the Allies, for no better reason than I wanted to hear what song (or instrumental tune if need be) they would play at the end of the game for the Allies- should they be victorious. Well the Allies did win and in keeping within the spirit of their name I was hoping to hear the 'Dambusters theme' or something of the like played over the Public Address system, but alas nothing. I felt cheated about all this.

#7 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Isn't that tune something about the Volga boatmen?

Yes, the chorus uses the tune of the "Volga boatmen", which you can listen here in all it's glory, as sung by the Red Army Choir - Youtube I'd say that the great musical rivalry of the Cold War was between the Red Army Choir and the Marine Corps Band. :P This great rivalry is now re-enacted whenever Fremantle plays Adelaide, as the Crows' have borrowed the Marine Corps Hymn tune for their club song.

By the way, if you watch the AFL's 1996 "100 years of Australian Football" you'll come across the Red Army Choir singing "Up there, Cazaly". I wonder if they knew what it was about...

#8 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

This was awful, just awful...

#9 PSP18

PSP18

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Pathetic. Only a 22 point loss but we were comprehensively outplayed for three quarters - second to the ball, missing targets, dropping marks, unable to use space properly etc etc.

2-2 from four games and two wins off the pace already. A lot of players are below their best. Slow start.

Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn, Moles, Minson, Hill, Eagleton and others - very quiet/shit tonight and need to lift. Higgins needs to impose himself more.

DFA, Hall, Griff, Lake, Williams, Morris and Harbrow can hold their heads up. That most of those play in the back half says a lot about the midfield getting dominated.

#10 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

I was at a wedding so didn't watch this one. [ironically I was less than a kilometre from the Gabba] but I was dumbfounded as to how we could go from 5 goals up after half time to such a convincing loss. This is where Rocket needs to prove how awesome he is.

Adelaide will be dangerous with their backs to the wall... but the real test will be the Saints in two weeks. Vengeance for the Prelim is vital

#11 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

I just hope the 'Playing Beattie Bows' don't give their coach the 'Billy Jack' before Friday night. You what what happens when the coach gets axed, that team usually win the next round.

They might kick straight this Saturday night under the roof.

Must win this one- got the Southern Saints the week after.

#12 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

I had to go to work on Saturday night. I listened to 2nd quarter in the car and thought great we are ahead at half time. I am shocked at the way we gave in in the second half. Extremely disappointing.

#13 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:29 AM

I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS FURIOUS AFTER A MATCH FOR AGES! I just watched St Kilda play the most negative, pathetic, insulting game of football ever and yet somehow they scraped a win. I cannot beleive it. No words apart from furious. Furious at the Saints for being the worst kind of team since Richmond, furious at Seven's commentators for not going harder on them, but mostly furious at the Western Bulldogs players for letting them win. (that's right I'm so mad I feel they are not worthy of our true name! Apologies Caveman but I am ropeable!)

#14 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

Negative football, isn't that how St Kilda have been thriving in the past couple of seasons? The aggregate scores in the last four St Kilda games were what? 95, 98, 201 and 110! Except for the Fremantle game, only dour defensive games.

You're right, how could we fall for that? Christ!

#15 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

It appeared that the Southern Saints wanted us to play the game on their terms- and we obliged them so obediently.

If your told before the game that your opponents will have a final score of 7.7.49 and the game will be played under a roof- then surely you would expect to take home the bacon.

The Southern Saints are defensively so well organised and I reckon they must all practice their defensive tactics every day of the week all day long, because they have got it inch perfect.

However we played into their hands by going along with it. We should have played out natural style, but decided to out 'defense' them. The last 10 minutes of the second quarter made me wonder what game I was watching. The ring a ring a rosy, keepings off nonsense that WE were playing then, kept them in the game, when we could have tightened the screws on them, because they are missing John Nicholls so obviously. We have got this massive man- Barry Hall- he will outmark 90% of people- why not bomb it to him, even if there are two blokes on him? He is a full forward, full forwardc can all mark, show me a half decent full forward that can't take a mark?

D.McG- its ok you can call them Western for last night. That is what is says on the HOME page- Western Bulldogs lost to Southern Saints. Next week it says Central Demons v Footscray trading as ........... :P

Possibly the most frustrating, annoying game ever played at the Docklands Stadium.

#16 Johnny Craddock

Johnny Craddock

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

It appeared that the Southern Saints wanted us to play the game on their terms- and we obliged them so obediently.

If your told before the game that your opponents will have a final score of 7.7.49 and the game will be played under a roof- then surely you would expect to take home the bacon.

The Southern Saints are defensively so well organised and I reckon they must all practice their defensive tactics every day of the week all day long, because they have got it inch perfect.

However we played into their hands by going along with it. We should have played out natural style, but decided to out 'defense' them. The last 10 minutes of the second quarter made me wonder what game I was watching. The ring a ring a rosy, keepings off nonsense that WE were playing then, kept them in the game, when we could have tightened the screws on them, because they are missing John Nicholls so obviously. We have got this massive man- Barry Hall- he will outmark 90% of people- why not bomb it to him, even if there are two blokes on him? He is a full forward, full forwardc can all mark, show me a half decent full forward that can't take a mark?

D.McG- its ok you can call them Western for last night. That is what is says on the HOME page- Western Bulldogs lost to Southern Saints. Next week it says Central Demons v Footscray trading as ........... :P

Possibly the most frustrating, annoying game ever played at the Docklands Stadium.

What you said Caveman.

That was the most disgraceful performance I have witnessed for many a year. It appears our game plan involves never kicking to a contest. This should get us a long way in September!

#17 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Exactly, you (not neccessarily them) don't score goals (or behinds) by kicking the ball backwards.

All the hoopla about getting Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall, he was getting paid to watch the blokes in the middle of the ground kick the ball sideways, backwards etc.

It is the old story about a chain only being as strong as its weakest link and if you play keepings off, then eventually there will be a mistake and the five minutes before of ring a ring a rosy have been five minutes of wasted energy.

#18 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

Friday night loss to the Bombers, that just about ruins my weekend. Frustrated.

I am getting that sinking feeling. There is no individual character at the Dogs that makes me want to believe at the moment.

#19 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

Friday night loss to the Bombers, that just about ruins my weekend. Frustrated.

I am getting that sinking feeling. There is no individual character at the Dogs that makes me want to believe at the moment.

Yes losing to the Western Bombers is certainly more unpleasant than say losing to the Central Demons or Fitzroy and South Melbourne (when they were both around) in an ordinary home and away game.

#20 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Yes losing to the Western Bombers is certainly more unpleasant than say losing to the Central Demons or Fitzroy and South Melbourne (when they were both around) in an ordinary home and away game.

I posted on another forum about my dislike for Essendon and how the 'Battle of the Maribyrnong' is an underrated rivalry. It is a bit one way in that we love to beat them, they like to pretend they don't care etc but really it should be a huge game and a result like last night should sting.

I grew up in West Essendon and was driven mad by the zombie hordes in red and black. Needless to say a Dogs win and an Essendon loss is a great weekend, therefore Friday night was a disaster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users