#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

A message for Lisbon.

I hope you destroy Rangers in the UEFA Cup. Good Luck!

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

:lol: Thanks a lot! I'm sure the sight of our green and white hoops will fire up the Rangers lads, but I know we can win this one! Hopefully our keeper won't decide to imitate Werder Bremen's...

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Werder Bremen.

Now that is the real WB Football Club,

Every time I see WB I think of Werder Bremen in the same way as:

QPR is Queens Park Rangers
WBA is West Bromwich Albion

#4 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

WB for Western Bulldogs! That's a good one. One club that actually resembles Footscray in its colours and nickname is Lille Olympique Sporting Club, of France. They play in red, white and blue (red shirts with white trim, blue shorts and socks) and are known as "Les Dogues", which apparently means the mastiffs but sounds exactly like "the dogs". They are the result of a merger, in 1944, of Olympique Lillois and SC Fives, and won three league titles, 1933 (as Olympique Lillois), 1946, and, yes, that's right, 1954!

Here's their badge:

Posted Image.

"Carnez les Dogues", anyone?

DMcG - sorry we couldn't knock Rangers out of the UEFA cup, believe me, you're not more disappointed than me. Last night's game could be shown as an example of every fault in Portuguese soccer. We may control the match, have more posession, show more skill, but are usually hopeless in front of goal and suffer from a colossal lack of objectivity. Which only sets the stage for the usual "sucker punch" counterattack goal from the opposition that makes our stomachs churn and kills our spirits. On top of everything, it was bitterly cold last night and the wind-blown rain managed to reach a great part of our supposedly "covered" stands, the part where I seat included.

If Australia and Portugal ever "cross swords" in an international football competition, remeber this: tight defense, no frills, tight marking and we'll fall apart at some stage.

All credit to Rangers, they won fair and square. If you don't like them, I don't think you have to worry much about their winning the cup, though. They're up against Zenit St. Petersburg, a previously barely known team that has been playing amazingly well, Fiorentina, from Italy, the kings of the "sucker punch" counterattack goals and Bayern Munich, as in "win the league with the last kick of the season, win the league because the previous leaders lost the last two games against doomed, crap opposition, down 3-1 five minutes before the end of extra time - this happened yesterday - scores twice to win on away goals Bayern Munich".

#5 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

From what I read you guys dominated the match but Rangers got through with their Anti-Football. But I did read that on Anti-Rangers sites.

Last night for the first time since late 2006 Celtic finally beat Rangers! It's been a long time between drinks!

If the Doggies can knock off the filthy Tigers that'll be my 2 arch rival teams knocked off in 5 days!

cross fingers!

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

There is a possibility that Rangers could win 4 trophies for the season?

How would you Celtic fans cope with that? They got through in the Scottish Cup on penalties over St Johnstone.

How would that have been- the Scottish Cup Final between Queen of The South and St Johnstone? A good British double that would have been with the F.A.Cup Final- the underdogs than never make it or haven't since 1939 and 1927 featuring Portsmouth and Cardiff City.

#7 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

Wouldn't cope very well.
They won the CIS cup on penalties, they're into the Scottish Cup Final by beating two minnows on penalties both times.

UEFA is proving a headache but I believe Fiorentina can prevail.

As for the league things are looking more positive with Celtic back on top, albeit only because we've played three more games.

We play them again this Sunday, if we win that it will open a 5 point gap then they have to play 4 games in 10 days, fatigue will have to play a part. I HAVE FAITH! COME ON BHOYS! 3 IN A ROW!!!!

#8 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

I'm not Gloating.

I'm just experiencing pure Schadenfreude.

I believe the phrase they use in Glasgow is GIRFUY!!!

:twisted: :lol: [/img]

#9 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

Well, I'm maybe suspect because Rangers eliminated my team, but as a fan of soccer I was delighted by Zenit's win. Rangers deserve respect for reaching the final with such a limited team, they were dour and determined and brave. Still, their "anti-football" shouldn't be rewarded with a win. Zenit, on the other hand, surprised everybody with their "champagne football". All of Europe was amazed with their 4-1 away win at Bayer Leverkusen and their 4-0 home demolition of Bayern Munich, which were the strongest team in the competition and clear favourites to win it.

In the end, it was an unusual defensive mistake by Rangers that led to Zenit's first goal, poetic justice, if you will...

By the way, GIRFUY????

#10 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Saw it somewhere that Rangers took 175,000 supporters to Manchester for that match! So they had 130,000 or so in Manchester itself outside of the stadium. What would have happened if they had of scored a goal, even if they lost say 1-2?

Manchester must have made more money that day than they did for the entire 2002 Commonmwealth Games.

#11 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Well, I'm maybe suspect because Rangers eliminated my team, but as a fan of soccer I was delighted by Zenit's win. Rangers deserve respect for reaching the final with such a limited team, they were dour and determined and brave. Still, their "anti-football" shouldn't be rewarded with a win. Zenit, on the other hand, surprised everybody with their "champagne football". All of Europe was amazed with their 4-1 away win at Bayer Leverkusen and their 4-0 home demolition of Bayern Munich, which were the strongest team in the competition and clear favourites to win it.

In the end, it was an unusual defensive mistake by Rangers that led to Zenit's first goal, poetic justice, if you will...

By the way, GIRFUY????

Yes they deserved it the Ruskies, they were the best team throughout the competition. One of my friends reckons- fancy any team being beaten by a club that's name starts with the letter "Z" ?!!!

#12 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

GIRFUY - an acronym similar to the great Ted Whitten's famous line.

Get It Right <*> Up Ya.

Apologies to our more sensitive forum users. This language would never be said by a Dogs fan.

Still some great soccer to come: Champions League Final, League Playoffs and let's not forget the final day of the SPL. If Celtic win, they're champions. Easy as that. [Mind you I'm touching every bit of wood I come across and crossing my fingers permanently]

#13 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the Glasgwegian dialect lesson and congratulations on Celtic's championship win. And let me congratulate myself, because Sporting won the Portuguese cup, beating Porto (the league champions) 2-0 after extra-time.

The Champions League final showed us just how important luck is in sport. If it hadn't been raining, then maybe Terry wouldn't have slipped as he shot and maybe Chelsea would have won. Also, because the game had to start at 8.45 pm Central European Time (prime time), it got underway at 10.45 pm (!) Moscow time and ended well past 1 am!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users