4 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

I hate leadership groups. I don't dislike any of our players in the leadership group but I feel that the only people players should have to answer to are the coach, the president, the CEO and the captain and vice captain. In any workplace when you make some people more important than over people who are supposed to be on the same level, it causes division, drama and resentment. Aker should not have had to sit out the front of a player forum. I do not care that Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have done it, I still think it is a dreadful practice.

#2 Conway

Conway

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

I agree!

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

Aker should not have had to sit out the front of a player forum. I do not care that Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have done it, I still think it is a dreadful practice.

I agree, it sounds a bit "cultural revolution" to me.

Now that they've done it, I hope that some good comes out of it, that it becomes some sort of "turning point" for the team. The victory over Fremantle looked good, it's been a while since we'd beat a team placed that high in the ladder.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

I concur- I can't accept the concept of 'leadership groups' within clubs. It just creates 'cliques' or even allows ones that are already there to grow arms and legs and flourish. It can result in a situation where different groups in a team, decide to kick to each other only and avoid other team mates who are not in the same clique.

The coach and his staff should be disciplining players- NOT the players team mates.

I know it has worked at the Country Cats, but overall I still believe it not a positive way to do things.

#5 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

By 'Leadership Groups' I think you mean The Leading Teams programme. A leadership group is just three or four senior players, which teams have been doing for donkey's years when there was 'Deputy Vice Captains' and so forth. Whereas the revolutionary Leading Teams programme is where all players talk frankly about what's expected of their teammates and where they're going wrong.
[Harsh criticism is called 360 degree feedback]

I think it's a good system because it makes sure everyone is on the same page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users