3 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I am stunned that Aker has been sacked. I know he was an individual but the excuses rolled out by Smorgon were flimsy and I did not like the way everyone got in the circle after our win over Fremantle. We should have treated this win exactly as any other because by making it out to be extra special was just rubbing Aker's nose in it. I would have liked the club to put up with him until the end of the year as he was going to leave anyway. Instead, we have caused controversy and looked mean. The club knew he was controversial and he took a pay cut to play this year to help us win a premiership. Overall, I think he was treated poorly and was humiliated.
'

#2 Conway

Conway

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

Very well said AJ. I am not going to add anything because you have covered it all and I totally agree. It has left a bad taste in my mouth!

I am on the Bulldogs Facebook group and it has caused a huge issue on there. People are split, some feel like you do, others are 'get over it' 'move on' or 'if don't like it and don't support the club find another one'.

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Don't know what to make of it all. It seemed a drastic step to take just 6 weeks before the finals. Whatever he has done must have been pretty terrible. I can't work out the leaking stuff, because if this is going on, he wouldn't be the only person leaking information from the club.

I watched THE FOOTY SHOW last week, as I don't normally get around to seeing it. It was compelling viewing and Aker seemed quite plausible, but he ruined his case at the very end after shaking hands with Campbell Rose then uttering those words about 'go on nick off' (or maybe not 'nick' off :P ) Well that was ludicrous, whatever sympathy he had would have lessened after that.

Anyway the result on Sunday was comprehensive- a team above us on the ladder taken apart right from the beginning. Whether this margin would have happened regardless of the Aker affair is debatable. The large numbers of officials singing the 'We give our very best' theme song could be interpreted as to be more about making a statement about the Aker question, than an appreciation of a resounding victory over the team in the top four.

We should now stay in the four and claim the double chance for three years running. The Country Cats game will be the biggest challenge, though Adelaide won't be easy over there in West End land.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Very well said AJ. I am not going to add anything because you have covered it all and I totally agree. It has left a bad taste in my mouth!

I am on the Bulldogs Facebook group and it has caused a huge issue on there. People are split, some feel like you do, others are 'get over it' 'move on' or 'if don't like it and don't support the club find another one'.

Facebook has its moments with the AFL as it does in all other areas

One bloke has this on his Facebook profile :

Work and Education

Employers

· XXXXXXXXXXXX March 2003 - Present

Distribution Manager

· North Melbourne Football Club February 1995 - Present

Statistician

2 Day & 2 Night Premiership statistician

Likes and Interests

So this bloke above played his role (and very much an under rated part) along with Wayne Carey, Glenn Archer, Corey McKernan, Denis Pagan and others with his excellent work as a statistician at North Melbourne in helping the kangaroos to obtain those two day and two night Premierships.

Everyone counts- in successful teams- from Wayne Carey to the bootstudder to the statisticians to the water boys.

Another reason why it would be great if we could win this 2010 Premiership could be so that -

Club legend- 'Sugar' Ray Chalkley could join FACEBOOK (assuming that he is not a member of it already- although I suspect that he probably hasn't got around to joining it?)

Anyway if he hasn't signed up then Chalkie could join Facebook and in his profile put

1 day and 1 night Premiership Property Room Steward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users