• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 PSP18

PSP18

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

I don't mind teams wearing "clash" jumpers when facing teams with similar shirts. But I do mind the current "away shirt" trend that has teams changing shirts when at the drop of a hat, when it's not really necessary, just because nike's/ adidas'/ reebok's etc. commercial interests demand it. I remember a recent Portuguese soccer league game in which a team that plays in red shirts played away at a team that wears white ones. Stupidly, the visitors decided to wear their "cream" away kit, and in doing so managed to create a clash where none was before!

As Caveman posted, Footscray's jumper doesn't really clash with those of nearly all the AFL teams. So let's stick to the red-white-and-blue.

French club Bordeaux wore their third kit in home matches on their recent Champions League run.....

Posted Image

They usually wear navy blue with white.

Using your rule, Footscray would wear the away uniform against include Carlton, West Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide and maybe Fremantle. That would give on average 3-4 uses per season.

I must say I don't mind seeing it against the likes of Richmond and Brisbane, but that might be because it's a class kit. If it was rubbish (like the 'Origin' jumper from 2005) then I'd have a different view.

#22 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Re the Vasco da Gama sash, their original shirt was actually all black with white collar and cuffs. The sash (white on black or black on white, both are worn) was introduced in the 1930's when they were coached by a man that had previously coached River Plate and who was inspired by that club's kit. Many other soccer teams wear sashes, the most famous is Peru's national team (red sash on white).

As for Crystal Palace, they've recently reintroduced the sash, side by side with their "Port Melbourne" shirt. They've changed shirts a number of times, as you can check for yourselves - Posted Image

The 1969 to 1971 kit was a disaster - maroon and sky blue stripes with yellow collar and cuffs!

I don't mind teams wearing "clash" jumpers when facing teams with similar shirts. But I do mind the current "away shirt" trend that has teams changing shirts when at the drop of a hat, when it's not really necessary, just because nike's/ adidas'/ reebok's etc. commercial interests demand it. I remember a recent Portuguese soccer league game in which a team that plays in red shirts played away at a team that wears white ones. Stupidly, the visitors decided to wear their "cream" away kit, and in doing so managed to create a clash where none was before!

As Caveman posted, Footscray's jumper doesn't really clash with those of nearly all the AFL teams. So let's stick to the red-white-and-blue.

I wouldn't mind the revival of the white guernsey with one red and one blue stripe, as it's similar to the one worn by the "Allies" in the Escape to Victory movie. Footscray as the forces of good? It goes without saying.

As for the 96 kit, yawning cat and all, it reminds of "year of the Dogs", of Wallis, Liberatore, a young Chris Grant, Shaun Baxter battling against cancer, Peter Gordon, Jenny Hodgson and, of course, Danny Southern explaining just how he injured every joint and bone in his body, including his supposedly "good" knee...

That is a beauty what you have there- the Crystal Palace guernseys sported through the years. Could I ask where did you get that chart from and do they have something similar for other teams?

I quite like the 1972-1973 guernsey- it is very distinctive

Anyway here is a you tube clip link of what I meant by their Port Melbourne like guernsey- though this is from February 1976 which doesn't quite match the chart.

It is Crystal Palace v Swindon Town from Selhurst Park back then in February 1976.

Ripper stuff- the late great Brian Moore commentating- the scenes at Selhurst Park with the standing crowd- they are not packed in like sardines and there are no cages or fences (thankfully). The atmosphere- I love it- what looks like an overcast day and the houses at the back of the standing terrace (that seems to go back for miles)

I remember watching these highlights from this particular match on Big League Soccer when Brian Moore was the host. It came from either the 'blast from the past' or the other segment where Brian Moore would say "And now its time for your letters" and someone who wrote in must have requested this game. So I first saw this match probably around the period of 1985 -1988 on that show?

The picture quality is not 100% but that is understandable and acceptable for how we are watching it here now, 34 years later. This probably belongs in the SOCCER section, but as it is about guernseys, it can stay here.

Another distinctive guernsey from the mid 1970's was the Birmingham City home shirt.

#23 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

That is a beauty what you have there- the Crystal Palace guernseys sported through the years. Could I ask where did you get that chart from and do they have something similar for other teams?

Caveman, those charts are available at Classic Football Shirts, the link goes straight to the search results.

For me the name and the colours are the club not so much the design of the jumper. I think some people don't like to tinker with the jumper because they see that as most important. White jumpers seemed to be taboo because of umpire uniforms for instance.

SonOfScray, I guess I'm of those people that long for unchanged uniforms, although I agree that the name is the most important of all. I pity the fans of those clubs that were so broke that they had to sell their name to the highest bidder, like the Austrian team that suddenly started to go by the name of "SC bet-at-home.com" (I swear I'm not making that up). I don't mind a few changes in minor details, but I think that you should use your home jumper as much as possible. One thing I'd like to see brought back are the stripes on the sleeves, like we had before. The all blue sleeves somehow seem duller.

Using your rule, Footscray would wear the away uniform against include Carlton, West Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide and maybe Fremantle. That would give on average 3-4 uses per season.

PSP18, I guess you're right. But 3-4 times a season would be enough, I think. Maybe they could wear a special jumper in the NAB Cup. And how about adopting something like Crystal Palace's 1920s "Dutch flag" as a clash guernsey? I think it's quite nice.

#24 SonOfScray

SonOfScray

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Houston Torando in the old version of the MLS wore that shirt - I almost bought on off Toffs to wear to Dogs games.

#25 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Lisbon: SonOfScray, I guess I'm of those people that long for unchanged uniforms, although I agree that the name is the most important of all. I pity the fans of those clubs that were so broke that they had to sell their name to the highest bidder, like the Austrian team that suddenly started to go by the name of "SC bet-at-home.com"

Todays game is between the Price Waterhouse Coopers Tigers v Yves Saint Laurent Blues.

The toss was wom by PWC Tigers captain 'Wal Mart Newman' who correctly called 'Nike Heads' over his rival captain 'Coca Cola Judd' of the 'YSL Blues'. We believe that 'Coca Cola Judd' would have called 'Toyota Tails' if he had of won the toss.

The above may not be as far fatched as it seems in the future

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users