No replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

The club is holding a competition on its website about the ten most memorable moments that have ever happened at the Western/Whitten Oval.

It is since the Footscray Football Club crossed over from the Victorian Football Association (V.F.A) to the Victorian Football League (V.F.L) in 1925. So anything Footscray did at the Western Reserve/ Western Oval in our first 42 years of existence are not considered.

I personally have an intense loathing of this airbrushing from history of the pre 1925 history of the Footscray Football Club. Not just because we won 9 of our 10 senior Premierships there.

Anyhow kicking the COMPETITIONS record highest score has to be the greatest moment at the ground. We didn't hold that record long- Greg Norman and Chris Evert had a longer marriage than Footscray had with the highest score- but we need to cherish it for the glory that a rare thing like this.

If Alan Ruthven of Fitzroy had NOT have scored anything with that kick of his back in 1953, then possibly this would have surpassed the 1978 game and claimed number one. In fact it should because white washing a team would be probably a bigger accomplishment- because it can never be bettered- it can be equalled but NEVER improved upon. Kicking the record score can- and has been done (as we know)

For me they are the two stand out moments.

Another one that is not mentioned is the day John Shepherd for the Footscray Cricket Club took 8/10 against St Kilda. I was there for that as a young kid. The third highest level of cricket in Australia (well equal third with other states) and 'Shep' claimed 8/10.

That was cricket so it won't be counted- fair enough really as if you include that you could add baseball or soccer efforts as both these games were played on the Western Oval. Though as an achievement- John Shepherd's bowling is the equivalent of scoring say 350 (yes more than the 329 not out from Michael Clarke last week). Not just 8 wickets say like 8/55 or 8/143 this was 8/10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users