No replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

A few days ago whilst browsing through the death notices- I picked up on one for Jeff Fehring.

I wondered if this chap that had died, was the same man who had been a footballer for St Kilda? Sadly it is- he was only in his early 50's. He had also been a Geelong player

Jeff Fehring will always be universally remembered for his MONSTER kick at Moorabbin against Collingwood in early in season 1981. This kick appears in plenty of football videos/ DVD'S ie 'That Was the Year That Was 1981' and many more.

That torpedo punt at Moorabbin was from behind the centre circle and it bounced through for a goal. It bounced just before the goal line! So not only did he get the distance right he also got the accuracy spot on.

Anyway earlier I saw exactly what Jeff Fehring was capable of. It was the opening match of the season, Footscray v St Kilda at the Western Oval on Saturday 28th March 1981- my mums birthday and I remember we went out to celebrate with a Chinese or Thai meal that night at a restaurant in the Footscray Central Business District.
Well we certainly weren't celebrating the result of the game played earlier that day as St Kilda got away to a flyer and we could never bridge the gap, in fact we never looked like winning at any point. Another opening round disaster for the bulldogs.

St Kilda's great tormentor Kelvin Templeton was on the sidelines after that infamous knee injury at Waverley in the night series against the club he would later join in 1983 - Melbourne.

Well to get to the point Jeff Fehring let go an almighty kick this afternoon- I don't recall it being a goal- it may even have gone through for a point- all I can recollect was it was the biggest kick I had witnessed at the Western Oval up to that point. After watching it I grabbed the record to try and find out who this bloke was- and there it was -Jeff Fehring.

So when he let go at Moorabbin with famous kick- it surprised me not one bit, having seen what he had done before. The next monster kick by an opposition player that captured my attention at the Western Oval was Ben Graham of Geelong in 1995- he let go towards the Barkly Street end and it was breathtaking, like Fehring's juggernaut.

Sad to learn that he is no longer with us, lets hope that Jeff Fehring can rest in peace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users