1 reply to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

There was a great article in the Melbourne 'Age' Newspaper today be Peter Hanlon

http://www.realfooty...2258739493.html

It is very refreshing to see a journalist look at the real issue as Peter Hanlon has done here. At first I thought it was from Greg Baum until I saw Peter's name because Greg Baum is in my opinion a very good sports reporter- he predominantly writes quality articles. So the fact it wasn't from Greg Baum but another journalist was extremely pleasing.

Bit of a pity though that nothing was mentioned of North Melbourne's 2008 membership figure, what is it now approaching 35,000? Well I had better check that one out. Anyway that is around about a 13,000 increase on 2007 when they were the "Kangaroos" with 22,000 - 23,000.

As for the President of Western saying he can't comprehend their (North Melbourne's) thinking in changing their name back to North Melbourne- well maybe he should speak to his fellow President's- Messrs Pratt, Horsburgh, Westaway, McGuire, March, Costa, Kennett and Gardner and encourage them to do the same as what he did to us and become a directional nickname. Wouldn't the Eastern Tigers sound nice or the Northern Blues? I am sure Richmond and Carlton fans would love that.

#2 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

I also thought Peter Hanlon's article was great. Our current president does not understand that when he completely ignores the feelings of Footscray supporters who miss our name, he is alienating a lot of supporters. We all love our team and I just wish he was not so arrogant in his opposition of those of us who miss our true and correct name. We are not trouble-makers, we love our footy team and don't deserve his scorn. I will always follow Footscray, I have a membership of the Western Bulldogs and will always follow them but will always call them Footscray and I don't like the way that he corrects journalists and fans who say Footscray instead of Western bulldogs. We are entitled to have our opinion and should be respected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users