1 reply to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

It was a great gesture by the AFL to retrospectively award Premiership Cups for all teams that won it prior to the 1959 Grand Final when it was first introduced.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

One thing though about the Premiership Cups being presented was the individual they presented it to.

The 2000 Premiership Cup (although already given out as had been the case for all winners since 1959) the bloke walking around with it was Michael Long. Now Long played in that game, but he also played in the 1993 Grand Final and was adjudged by the blokes selecting the Norm Smith Medal that he was best on the ground- so he took Normie home that night.

My point here is that Long should have been carrying the 1993 Cup rather than the 2000 Cup.

Well why the interest, who really cares? Well not a big point I guess, but those who recall the 2000 Grand Final would remember how Long was suspended for four weeks after an attack on a Melbourne opponent. It was an an act of thuggery and I was reasonably close to it being there that day in the bottom level of the Old Ponsford Stand. The Melbourne bloke could have become a quadreplegic like Neil Sachse was to. I was quite surprised that Long only got four weeks- he should have got 6 maybe even 8 weeks.

With Michael Long then to be carrying that 2000 Premiership Cup, to have made the event consistent, Colin Robertson of Hawthorn should have been on the MCG that Grand Final Day with the 1983 Premiership Cup. Essendon fans are still venomous about Robertson for what he did to their Timmy Watson in that Grand Final, although they seem to conveniently forget what happened to Fitzroy's Leon Harris two weeks earlier in the First Semi Final.

The 1983 as well as other Premiership Cups should have been carried by the following and here was the opponent that they belted

1971 Leigh Matthews: Hawthorn / Stuart Trott: St Kilda

and or

1976 Leigh Matthews: Hawthorn / Keith Greig: North Melbourne

1973 Neil Balme: Richmond / Geoff Southby: Carlton

1983 Colin Robertson / Timmy Watson: Essendon

1993 Dean Wallis: Essendon / Milham Hanna: Carlton

You could throw in the Hawthorn bloke who ran into Footscray's Keith Beamish in the 1961 Grand Final too, if the Hawthorn bloke is still alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users