6 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:54 AM

It is a shame that more publicity was not given to Mars bars supporting Tasmania's bid for an AFL team. It is purely discrimination by the AFL to leave Tasmania out and they should be ashamed of themselves. Andrew Demitriou also seems to have an aversion to Tasmania. His attitute is absolutlely appaling. He seems to look upon Tasmania as being pests rather than passionate football supporters. He is too arrogant to back down and has the attitude of "what I say goes and that's final " I wish he was given the sack.

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

If the AFL is really machiavellian, than one day it'll probably say something like "Tasmania may have it's team, as long as it is a relocated Melbourne club"...

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Yes, you can put nothing past the AFL.

Funny how Brisbane had the lowest membership this season?

New South Wales and Queensland people are predominantly only interested in Aussie Rules Football (aerial ping pong as they call it) when things go well. When the Swans or the Brisbane Bears / Brisbane Lions slide down the ladder- so do their crowds.

#4 Conway

Conway

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Very true. I think a 2nd Sydney team and a Gold Coast team are bad ideas. I would much rather see a Tasmanian team.

Western Sydney would have to be the worst idea since changing Footscray's name. As if it will be a success. The Swans are only doing so so membership wise, why on earth would a new team do well there? No one will support them in Sydney.

As for the Gold Coast, I agree with Caveman. Unless they are doing well on the ladder no one will care. Look how the Bears did when they played on the Gold Coast. I was really hoping Southpark Sharks would have got the license. That would have been a great idea, to see a well established, successfull club enter the AFL, Port Adelaide style. But to have a new team called "Gold Coast" with no history, players or fan base, it will struggle.

It should have been a Tasmaniam team and a Darwin team!

#5 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

How many were there last night in Steak and Kidney at the North game? Did I see correctly that it was 17,000?

I know it was raining heavily but that attendance for a FINAL doesn't present a good advertisment for when this 'West Sydney Drive by Shootings'(as Ross Stevenson on 3AW calls them :( ) or dare I say it (should we relocate) the 'Western Sydney Bulldogs' or as just as we are now- our 'traditional' name of 12 years the Western Bulldogs when the Western Region comes in to the competition. That is the western region of Sydney by the way not Melbourne.

Tassie is the go if their fair dinkum.

#Actually Ross Stevenson just calls them the 'Drive by's'- the shootings is apparently superflous. :)

#6 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

We were preliminary finalists last year and yet we struggled to find a sponsor. Richmond, I believe, are still without one. The Tasmanians haven't even been awarded a license and they already have a sponsorship deal. What else do the Tasmanians have to do? "Import" a million people? Will the AFL be satisfied then?

#7 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

The push for the 2nd team in Sydney took a strong blow with the crowd for the Sydney v North final.

It was a very wet night but less than 20,000 in the Olympic Stadium was an absolute disaster for the AFL.

The AFL received a reality pill that evening that people from the Western Suburbs of Sydney (or Sydney's Western Region) are not likely to be converted to Australian Rules football for many more years. The Swans went there to Sydney for the 1982 season- that was 27 years ago.

To have a crowd of less than 20K for a final in a city of approximately 3-4 million really does not push the cause too well.

How much financial and drafting assistance will they require? Tasmania is a football state- they don't need the hard sell.

However it is all about money- there is more in Sydney than Tassie.

It will be an interesting year watching how this subject progresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users