2 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yet again, some people are whinging about having to replay the grand final. James Brayshaw was carrying on like a pork chop about draws in football and we are in 2010 and should have a result. I am sick of people whining about this. We all know the rules and being involved in a draw is not the dreadful result they want us to believe it is. I have been to drawn Footscray games and I didn't feel empty, confused and cheated. I have been told that the last time there was a drawn grand final in 1977, the supporters accepted it and come back next week. No bleating, anger and hysterics so why do we now in 2010 carry on as if something totally unacceptable has happened? Have people turned into wimpy complainers ? Also, how often do you hear commentators and fans say in incredibly close games " this game is so close, no team should lose, this game deserves a draw "

#2 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

I agree. Why is it that everybody keeps talking about 1977? Because of the draw. It only happens once in a generation or so, which makes it ever so special.
Also, perhaps nobody really deserved to lose. You had Cloke's two unbelieveable misses, on the one hand, and Riewoldt's kick being touched nearly on the line and that last bounce that eluded Milne when the final behind was scored on the other hand. Both teams could have won, so maybe it's good that neither did.
Anyway, I have a very personal reason to be thrilled. Eurosport2, the channel that broadcasts AFL games over here, will start Portuguese language broadcast on October 1. Which means that the Grand Final Replay, to be shown live, will - for the first time ever, since the dawn of man - called in Portuguese. And who have they invited to assist the guy that'll do the calling, by providing expert commentary? Me. Apparently I'm Portugal's premier Australian Rules Football expert ;)
If the GF hadn't been a draw, I wouldn't have this opportunity. 3rd drawn Grand Final since 1897, that's 114 seasons. Talk about fate!

#3 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

Well congratulations there Lisbon- magnificent work. We have the right man to spread thread word. ;) I hope you enjoy the day

As for the drawn Grand Final situation- I still don't have a hard and fast opinion on whether to have extra times or replays for the Grand Final. Definitely believe draws shouls stay for the home and away and extra time is needed for the other finals- but Grand Finals I don't know.

One thing though- extra time should be 2x10 minutes each way rather than just the 2x5 minutes each way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users