3 replies to this topic

#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Colchester united, who I beleive are your team Caveman...

Have a new manager, ex-Celt Paul Lambert. [Not Craig Lambert the former Brisbane Bear, yeah obscure players!]

Not real reason for the report, just want to keep this board ticking over during summer.

Victory on top, Celtic on top. It's a good summer of football so far. Hope the Socceroos can beat Qatar next week.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for that- good old Colchester- isn't it a fine gesture to support an obscure team 8) :lol:

Yes I remember Paul Lambert- did he not originate from St Mirren?

A mate of mine married a girl who's mother was Scottish. At their wedding (in South Australia- some miles out of Adelaide) these Scottish blokes came out, attired in their kilts- one was a St Mirren supporter, another one of them was from Glasgow- his kilt was a green colour but funnily enough he wasn't a Celtic supporter :lol:

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

I watched Celtic beat Rangers 1-0 at Ibrox on TV last Saturday, to open up a 7-point gap. Seems the Bhoys are on their way to the league title.

I always had a soft spot for Celtic, ever since I found out they played in green and white hoops, just like Sporting. In fact, being partial to Celtic is something of a tradition in the "green half" of Lisbon. Go to any game at our ground and you'll see Celtic scarves, Celtic caps, Celtic tops and, somewhat more bizarrely, Irish tricolours. We Portuguese must be the most unpatriotic people on the face of the Earth. Every time one of our clubs signs a foreign player and he starts doing well, flags from his home country start appearing in the stands. Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Morocco, even more specific flags, like Rio Grande do Sul State flags (from Brazil). We fly our Irish tricolours, our Union Jacks and Stars and Stripes and Confederate flags and Japanese Imperial Navy flags, the colours changed to those of our club, but our own green and red flag is usually nowhere to be seen. Still, when both of Brazil's most famous "founded by Portuguese emigrants" clubs, Vasco da Gama of Rio and Portuguesa of São Paulo, were relegated to the 2nd division a few weeks ago it caused quite a bit of sadness around here, as "our" teams had let us down.

As for Colchester, they seem to be in for a season of comfortable "mid-tableness". They're 11th in League 1, 10 points below the last play-off spot, 9 points ahead of the relegation area. Shame about MK Dons' 2nd place, though, one promotion was bad enough, two in a row would be a nightmare!

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

As for Colchester, they seem to be in for a season of comfortable "mid-tableness". They're 11th in League 1, 10 points below the last play-off spot, 9 points ahead of the relegation area. Shame about MK Dons' 2nd place, though, one promotion was bad enough, two in a row would be a nightmare!

That is such a fine expression- "mid tableness"!

I have heard some British pundits refer to being in the middle of the list it as - "mid table obscurity!"

As for MK Dons- I reckon they sound like a nuclear missile from Trident? Sir Humphrey Appleby (the late great Nigel Hawthorne) from Yes Prime Minister would have have probably would thought of them as the nuclear bomb /weapon that Harrods would buy?

"Ronald Reagan and Caspar Weinberger have authorised the shipment of MK Dons into West Germany, Britain and the other NATO nations to as a deterrent to counteract the Warsaw Pact countries expanding their nuclear weapons program"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users