Photo

Before the game- you are told you can take a 72 point win if you like?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

It was 72 points to the good, you can't be too upset with that, can you surely?

Well no it is still 12 goals, or strictly speaking we outscored them by 11 goals 6 behinds. Yet I was just saddened that the Eastern Tigers got that goal with the last kick of the game. I was hoping that we could have kept them scoreless for that final quarter, which would have taken away some of the frustration of the poor kicking for goal in that last quarter by our blokes. I was really hoping for a 100+ win, or at least 20 goals for the game, like the Southern Saints had the night before at the other joint. They fulfilled both requests.

However 72 points is still quite conclusive, but I don't understand the point of playing keepings off (TRANSLATION: kicking the ball backwards) near the end when you are 78 points ahead. If your going to do that- make sure you do keep possession- it is utterly pointless playing keepings off, if you change your mind after a minure or so and then decide to kick it to a contest. That means that the keepings off for a minute or two before the 'kick to a contest' was pointless.

My view is this- if hypothetically (any team) decides that 5 and a half minutes before the end of the game to play keepings off, then that team must play (successfully) that keepings off game for the full 5 and a half minutes, not 3 minutes and 20 seconds or whatever it is.

#2 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. The Tigerhuns are my least liked team and I was keen for a 100+ victory to make up for last week's debacle.

In regards to Barry 'Sue' Hall [we've nicknamed him after the Johnny Cash song Boy Named Sue] I think he's the ultimate confidence player. We should make a concious effort for him to grab a couple of quick ones in the first quarter and he'll be sweet.

That said, re reading the above makes me sound quite ungrateful. The last two years have made me greedy for success, if I think back even to 2005 I would have bitten your hand off for a 72 point win.

Let's hope by Sunday we're over the flu that according to James Hird cost us the match against Collingwood, and we make Hawthorn 1 & 2.

#3 Lisbon

Lisbon

Joe Marmo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

In regards to Barry 'Sue' Hall [we've nicknamed him after the Johnny Cash song Boy Named Sue] I think he's the ultimate confidence player.

:blink: He does look the part. I have no trouble at all picturing him having a fight with his own dad.

I'd surely take a 72 point win before the game. Ending a match a dozen goals to the good is always something to celebrate. And it also means we're back on track after that annoying first round loss against Collingwood.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

So when Barry has a son he will call him -

Bill or George or anything but Sue?

One of the club's directors is named Barry Hall, so there are two Barry Hall's at the club.

It could be argued by some that a moustache sporting Barry Hall- the director, possibly has a slight resemblance to the former Liverpool star of the 1960's and 1970's -Tommy Smith.

Now that may be a compliment of not depending on your point of view. During the 1974 F.A.Cup Final between Liverpool and Newcastle United- the match commentator David Coleman made a statement that

"Some people claim that Tommy Smith wasn't born- he was quarried"

he produced some classic one liners David Coleman in that 1974 F.A.Cup Final.

Tommy Smith was a renowned hard man on the field during his era- a tough as teak Scouser

By the way as I am typing this, in the background on Foxtel I can hear on the History channel them talking about

'The ring of fire'

How apt for a topic that relates to the great Johnny Cash

#5 StatsFanatic

StatsFanatic

Wally Donald

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

I was actually kinda disappointed with Tigers kicking that late goal as:
1) Without it Bulldogs would of kept them scoreless for that final quarter,
and
2) Despite it being early in the season, that last goal pushed us from a possible 8th at the end of the round, down to 10th.

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

I was quite annoyed with that goal to the Eastern Tigers with the last quick of the game. Keeping them scoreless for that last quarter would have put a cherry on the icing on the cake.

It is like a batsman going out when the team only needs 1 run to win. He could have walked off with his other batting partner after the winning run, but goes out and someone else comes in. Throws away his red ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users