3 replies to this topic

#1 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Today in his farewell speech Wallace officially apologized to the Footscray fans for the way he left in 2002.

I remember being very disappointed in him for leaving, and proud of the players for standing up for themselves, sadly this brought about the largely forgettable tenure of Rhode.... [after that great win against Collingwood]

Since then we've heard a lot of rumours about THAT week. Does anyone actually know what happened? I've heard that players like Darcy & Grant still have bad blood with Wallace over the incident...

And hearsay and conjecture is completely welcome in this thread as well.

I really hope the Dogs give Wallace the proper send off on Friday night... with a 100 point thumping!

PS - does anyone have a spare ticket for the match it's a Tigers home game so my matchday 11 ticket doesn't cover it....

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

Tex's departure from the club in 2002 was an unusual one. He probably should have announced he was packing it in on the Friday night, or on the Saturday morning- then there would have been no opportunity to organise another coach.

Player power played its part in seeing Wheeler, Joyce and then Wallace shown the door, although Tex's situation was different from the previous two. with he announcing that he was going. St Kilda and Richmond are frequently lambasted for this, but our record with James Joyce and The Two Terry's is right up there with those two- really lets face facts about that.

Tex has been demonised for leaving and the way it was done- I tend to play devils advocate on this slightly- he did give the club 14 years service- fine service at that as well- 2 Charlie's (Sutton) as a player -he was there for the Fitzroy Bulldogs situation of 1989 and hung around through all that trauma. Yes he was going for more money- but this club has a long history of others who have done the same- Dempsey, Templeton, Edmond, Malthouse even- he would have got more in the real west than here in our little west.

A very good match day coach- like quite a few other very good coaches ie Northey the Premiership proved elusive.

An interesting game awaits- what frame of mind will the Eastern Tigers be in? Will they be hard pressed to win it for Tex- or to win in in spite of him? Then your 100+ thrashing may occur if its like the Gaspar game they played against the Country Cats back in 2007- Darren Gaspar given the Kyber pass during the week- his teammates didn't appear to be fully committed and a 157 point annihilation was the outcome.

As for the game and getting in - like yourself I am an 11 gamer. Now if the full home and away membership was available in 1996 and before - I would have bought it. However now- no it is not worth it- for the member who supports in a diminshed way as I have from 1997- the home membership is sufficient for me- the Docklands arrangement has turned into a farce- not a joke anymore it is a farce.

So sorry about that- I can't help on that one. Will have to watch it on the plasma and not answer calls, look at texts and avoid the radio completely.

#3 DMcG

DMcG

William 'Ching' Harris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

LCD is better for the environment Caveman!

But I digress - Just heard Aka on the radio discuss the match, used the word 'hatred' between the clubs. I'm excited by his passion! I wish I could go, but I'll be content to watch at the pub or at home. Sure I could shell out $20 to watch but I don't want to give money to Docklands or the Tigerhuns.

GO DOGGIES! SMASH THE SCUM! [apologies to Jake King who I'm told is a top bloke and of course to Mick Molloy]

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

LCD is better for the environment Caveman!

But I digress - Just heard Aka on the radio discuss the match, used the word 'hatred' between the clubs. I'm excited by his passion! I wish I could go, but I'll be content to watch at the pub or at home. Sure I could shell out $20 to watch but I don't want to give money to Docklands or the Tigerhuns.

GO DOGGIES! SMASH THE SCUM! [apologies to Jake King who I'm told is a top bloke and of course to Mick Molloy]

Back in 1983, I disliked Richmond quite intensely- their fans were usually arrogant, smug condescending to others. I had one bloke sit behind me at the 1982 MCG clash, when they finished the season on top and lost the Grand Final. This bloke was an A1 example of the above- they beat us that day as they had been since 1979- nothing unusual in that for that era.

So I found their non achievements acceptable from then on- until the last few years. After 25 years of not playing in a Grand Final in 2007- I thought well they have had it tough for 25 years- the dislike I had for them had been waning for some time so I then decided- no I won't begrudge them getting back on their feet again- I hope they come good.

So next year (2010) will be 30 years since Richmonds last Premiership and 28 years since their last Grand Final- thats a hard road- although not as hard as 55 years and 48 years as for us supporters of Western.

The tiger supporters have changed dramatically- they are a pretty humorous lot these days- I don't mind Richmond fans now, totally different from 1982. So I would be happy for them to improve- they have paid their debt to me for the arrogance I first knew of them back in the early 1980's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users