3 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Jane

Amelia Jane

Vernon Banbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

This website is bravely and intelligently taking on the board and the media. I was speaking to a few supporters of other clubs recently who seemed to think it was OK to change our name without the members voting etc. That was until I used Caveman's examples of asking them how they would like it if their clubs ( Geelong, Carlton and Essendon ) were called Country Cats, Western Bombers or Eastern blues etc and they then totally changed their minds and were horrifed at the thought of that. They then completely agreed that we should be called Footscray. I think some people are influenced by the media who seem to think that everything Smorgo does is wonderful. I find that people just have to see it from our perspective and relate it to their club. Caveman is doing everything he can to change our name back to Footscray and he deserves a lot of respect and support for standing up for everything he believes in. I hope Dimattina gets in and changes our name back to its correct name Footscray.

#2 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

Well thanks again for your support - though it can't be said that the Caveman is doing everything- because all of the 40 cells of the FOOTSCRAY SUPERIOR section are still some time away from all being live on this website!

There will be some interesting times ahead at the football club off the field in the next few months.

#3 Elsternwick Pierre

Elsternwick Pierre

Arthur 'Nance' Williams

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

Do we know that Dima and his crew want to change the name back? Or, indeed, he/they is/are okay with the idea. I haven’t read or heard anything about this.

#4 Caveman

Caveman

Arthur Olliver

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

I wonder how many realise that one of the 18 teams in the AFL could quite easily change their nickname?

That is the club that Kevin Sheedy is involved with- the new mob north of the Victorian/ New South Wales border starting from scratch.

It wouldn't be difficult for the word GIANTS to be replace by BULLDOGS.

Also that club could drop the word GREATER if they wanted. The word Sydney also could be dropped, or KEPT which again impacts upon us as the Western Bulldogs.

The Greater Western Sydney Giants haven't been there long enough to build a traditon or history with their name, nickname, colours etc

Mr Andrew Demetriou hasn't taken to us with a stick in his 8 years in the job as AFL supremo. However should he ever be replaced (which is NOT impossible) and someone like Jeff Kennett became the main man at the AFL, Jeffrey wouldn't be as charitable as Andrew has been. In fact he would make a supreme effort to get rid of teams he saw as not making enough money or being in debt.

We could still be the Western Bulldogs- playing our home games in Sydney. It is more than plausible if you really think about it.

We just have to get rid of Western- because while it is there- scenarios like the above are more likely to eventuate than if we are Footscray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users